Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looks like water on sparkplug 94 sl 750 fuj enginei

Got the Polaris running was a good time went about 50mph but ended up swamping the engine with water and found some signs of water in the engine on the spark plugs and inside the CDI box. Hopeing that I didn't ruin it because it wont start my son was rideing when it happened . Thinking Im gonna blow the water out the plug holes after I charge the battery( my son ran the batt. pretty low tryin to start it then fell on it's side when he got help from a boater before I got there and pulled it in) then do a compression check and dry out the CDI and resil it. Also for what it's worth my son said the over heat light went on before all this happened. What are your thoughts?

+1
    need to get water out of the motor, and get it running asap.

I am sure there is a thread here some where explaining how to get a swamped motor running.

While I was running the starter shooting water out of the plug holes , I dicided I would put my finger over the holes and seemed like my compression was real low at the mag piston, and when I checked for spark it almost fired up on two cylinders but would'nt start when I put the mag plug in the hole. I forgot to mention when it was running good there was a little oil that came out where that plug was seated on the mag. Any other thoughts?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    First thing is to get the inside of the motor dry!

Get it running on land, then take it to the launch ramp. Keep it fully strapped down front and back. Back it down until the jet pump is well submerged, then run the engine. You can apply throttle and get the engine nice and warm under load.

While it is running you can use your hand to compare cylinder temperatures. If one cylinder is cold or cooler than the others, that cylinder is producing less power.

Once you have dried it out enough at the ramp, decide whether it is running properly. Check compression on all cylinders. Spark plugs out, throttle held wide open. If one cylinder is much lower than the others, pack it up and trailer home.

If the compression is good and fairly even across all cylinders, take it for a test ride. The more air and heat through the engine, the better. Do not test ride it if the engine is making strange sounds or just seems 'wrong'.

Finally, trailer it. Blow the water box out, then fog the engine with fogging oil spray. That will protect against residual moisture inside the engine.

I did get it to run while in the yard and lots of water came out, did a compression test and 0 at the mag, cen 112, pto 100. Not good as far as I know, should I still do what you said K447? Thinking at this point to remove the mag and see whats really going on>

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Djaypro View Post
    I did get it to run while in the yard and lots of water came out, did a compression test and 0 at the mag, cen 112, pto 100. Not good as far as I know, should I still do what you said K447? Thinking at this point to remove the mag and see whats really going on>
    Well, you have (at least) two problems;

Moisture still inside the engine, and a broken piston or something.

At this point all you can really do is fog the engine, and plan to tear it apart. Sooner rather than later.

I would not be running the engine again until you know why you have zero compression in one cylinder.

Still hav'nt figured out if water is the source of my problem but "" It's in there"" My mag got religious and is holy.. I have 2 pistons from my old engine with barrel gonna do a swap.. My son says he thinks the water got in through the carbs when he tipped it,, then tried to start it. I am not a mechanic. but I got this far any help would be appreciated heres some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0810.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	312019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0812.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	312020  

More pics Is there a good way to get the water out? Need instructions to remove my mag piston. Anything else I need to do? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0818.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	312023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0819.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	312024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0822.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	312025

Help.. have no idea what Im doing here Gonna get some snap ring plyers to pull the mag piston off I just fogged the crank shaft and used a vacuum to remove the water.. How am I doing? Gonna look for some good gaskets

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Djaypro View Post
    Help.. have no idea what Im doing here Gonna get some snap ring plyers to pull the mag piston off

I just fogged the crank shaft and used a vacuum to remove the water.. How am I doing? Gonna look for some good gaskets
    Well, getting the water out and spraying plenty of fogging oil down there will help.

There may still be moisture inside the actual crankshaft bearings, not much you can do about that other than air dry.

The piston hole looks like a classic lean burn down. Beyond replacing the piston, rings and checking the cylinder clearances, the real fix is to service the fuel system. At the very least the carburetor for that cylinder needs to be taken part, internally cleaned, and rebuilt using genuine OEM rebuild kit.

If it was me I would be doing all three carbs, plus the rest of the fuel system. Triple outlet fuel pump, new fuel selector valve, new fuel filter, and all new fuel hoses.

You will probably need new gaskets for the cylinders and heads, exhaust, and water bar.

I cannot really tell from the fuzzy photos, but it looks like the other two pistons were running close to lean as well.
    Last edited by K447; 08-30-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information