Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 97 Sea Doo SPX

Banned User

97 Sea Doo SPX

I helped a neighbor fix his Sea Doo and in return he gave me a 97 Sea Doo SPX in perfect condition minus a blow motor. My question is, Is it worth it to fix this ski as a wave jumper? Will a 951 motor fit? Anyone have these parts on hand?

Alex

+1
    Alex,

First do u know whats wrong with it? Blown motor can mean alot of things in a persons mind that doesnt know much about skis meaning ur buddie that gave it to you. On those old rotax motors. Even a jet pump bearing could make the ski seem like its blown. Did you compression test it? As far as rebuilting to jump **** u got it for free why not. Its not that much to repair some cylenders and a top end kit if its that. Crank broken. Take it to tdr in pompano and they will rebuild urs. But if you dont want it let me know ill take it off my hands and rebuild it for my girl. I been looking for a deal like this so she can learn on something other then my RXP by herself Let me know if u need any help. I know some shops. My buddy and i have rebuilt a couple 580s,650s,and 951s. As far as putting a 951 in it . U will have to change the computer also .and to me its really not worth it. That would just make it a gsx limited. Same hull i belive.

Adam

+1
    the 97 spx is a great ski for jumping and playing on, lots of inexpensive mods to really hop it up.
    totally different ski agility wise from the bigger rxp/rxt models.
    i agree, go over the motor yourself, it might not need much.
    not worth putting a 951, the real attraction for this ski isnt speed its agility. people crammed 951's in but they got heavier.
    the GSX L has the 951, its another great ski, but it is a different hull. bigger, a bit heavier, and longer.
    have you ever ridden any smaller skis like this before?? its a totally different ride!!!! funfunfun

+1
    compression test it, then inspect pump wear ring area, does the ski turn over by hand easily?
    if you can do a 80+ mph rxp i am sure you can handle the troubleshooting on a spx.

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    alex i would keep it those lil ski's are bad ass i have a sp and spi they have the 580 motors but there fun as hell cause there almost like a stand up as in you can throw your wieght around and get ot do what you want

Banned User
    The guy tried to fix the problem with the motor himself So most of the motor is in boxes. It needs a new piston Anyone ever replace a motor in a ski like this? I trying to get my hands around the cost of a short block...

Alex,
    John Zigler had a short block for that in the classifieds a few days back. 787 motor, think it was around 750 bucks.....BigT

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    The guy tried to fix the problem with the motor himself So most of the motor is in boxes. It needs a new piston Anyone ever replace a motor in a ski like this? I trying to get my hands around the cost of a short block...

alex it not hard to work on at all i rebuilt a 580 motor by my self if you look on ebay you can find a cheap rebuild kit or you can find wiseco if you wanna spend the money as well brand new

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by superduty View Post
    i rebuilt a 580 motor by my self
    The 97SPX has a 787cc motor. An SBT shortblock is $800 + $100(two-way shipping)

Remember, you'll have to change the fuel lines and clean the carbs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    The 97SPX has a 787cc motor. An SBT shortblock is $800 + $100(two-way shipping)

Remember, you'll have to change the fuel lines and clean the carbs.

i knew this i was just sayin that the 2strokes are easy is what i guess i should have said

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information