Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Why Do a SS Wear Ring?

I'm seeing a few stainless steel wear rings in some mod sigs. But my first thought when seeing them is: if it's a part that's designed to be worn down (it IS called a "wear" ring), then why on earth would you want to make it out of something as durable as stainless steel? Isn't the whole idea of a wear ring that it gets worn down and dinged up instead of your impeller? Am I missing something?

+1
    Exactly , that's why I won't run one !
    Last edited by pete71; 08-27-2013 at 01:19 AM.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I guess it depends on how and where you ride. I know where I ride shallow waters can creep up on you and the vacuum that is the 4-Tec will have you on your trailer in no time.

Now if I was a purely a speed guy who rode on glass, didn't jump or induce cavitation, SS wear ring is a no brainer.

5. +1 by:

SS is the shit. I've been using SS for about 280hrs. Just bought my 2nd one last week. A Solas SS for $100 from Impros.

Nothing but deep gouges and chunks get taken out of the OEMs. Besides, its not like owning the OEM type guarantees you that you won't damage your impeller. That's just what people like to say. If you don't want to damage your impeller, don't go sucking shit up! Hell, I didn't even HAVE to replace mine after 280hrs...it simply had a bunch of surface scratches. No deep scars and chunks banged out of it like you see with OEMs.

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    where I ride they open dams several times a year..
    shit gets sucked up no matter what you do to avoid it.

hell a friend sucked up a piece of a plastic coat hanger, I've sucked up a bottle cap, and not to mention water logged wood floating just below the surface, that's is just a few things..

not even including how many times something just gets stuck to the grate then falls off.. we have friends that ride with SS. I just don't want to take the chance rather change a plastic then try to pull out a metal one..

just some FYI.. my ring plastic has 140+ hours on it.. and will get replaced this season due to debri getting sucked up in it a several times this year..

+1
    140 hours on a nylon wear ring?? thats insane! u must not be riding hard enough, or its been damaged for a long time and u haven't realised!

Once u add mega HP, the nylon ones last about 10 hours. SS is the only way to go. On a stock boat, i would change every 50-60 hours.

+1
    you can flip the stock wear rings too .. they last twice as long

10. +1 by:

+1
    SS wear ring for 140 hours........ glad i had it when i sucked up a pellegrino water bottle cap in the river beginning of the season.

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by C Doo View Post
    140 hours on a nylon wear ring?? thats insane! u must not be riding hard enough, or its been damaged for a long time and u haven't realised!

Once u add mega HP, the nylon ones last about 10 hours. SS is the only way to go. On a stock boat, i would change every 50-60 hours.
    I ride it 7-8 mile each way to the island, when not jumping wake the ski is usually WOT unless very choppy out.. there is no damage to the ring..
    just started getting cavitation on hard launches about 2 weeks ago..

+1
    Changing to a SS wearring after this season. I'm riding open sea and between the sand-plates.

Here we have only sand, sand and even more sand. Also a lot of sand floating in the water due the currents here.

So my plastic wearring goes like a rocket.........

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information