Rxtx 260 stuck at 62mph

My jetski had a trouble code pop up, p1661, and now says maintenance required. I hit about 8000rpm but the speed tops out at 62mph. Can anyone give me some insight please? I would bring it into the dealership but it's really far. I have checked all the plugs and wires for loose connections and did find the fuse box just dangling but it's wires not sure if that's normal so I zap strapped it to the battery box. Any info would be great thanks!

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    P1661 - Bilge pump shorted to 12v

did you have a factory bilge put in?

how many hours on the ski?

what year?

what rpms are you turning when you running 62 mph?

+1
    Rpm's sound more or less ok (50-100 more rpm would be perfect but even then you wouldn't notice any major difference in top speed). I would search for wear ring or impeller issue. Also check your speed with a handheld gps ( maybe your problem could only be false readings). Best thing is to check with another rxtx. My ski tops at 67 ( gps) with perfect conditions. My friends rxtx 260 tops at 70. When we drug race I am always faster..calm or choppy weather...Sometimes speed readings are misleading..oh and don't believe all the speed readings you hear. Most will give true speeds but in some cases speeds are a bit over stretched... Once my gps recorded 70 mph..but just once..this doesn't mean anything. My top speed is 67 more or less ( salt water use)

+1
    Heat can cause a loss in speed as well. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmarxt View Post
    Rpm's sound more or less ok (50-100 more rpm would be perfect but even then you wouldn't notice any major difference in top speed). I would search for wear ring or impeller issue. Also check your speed with a handheld gps ( maybe your problem could only be false readings). Best thing is to check with another rxtx. My ski tops at 67 ( gps) with perfect conditions. My friends rxtx 260 tops at 70. When we drug race I am always faster..calm or choppy weather...Sometimes speed readings are misleading..oh and don't believe all the speed readings you hear. Most will give true speeds but in some cases speeds are a bit over stretched... Once my gps recorded 70 mph..but just once..this doesn't mean anything. My top speed is 67 more or less ( salt water use)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Toobold View Post
    Heat can cause a loss in speed as well. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmarxt View Post
    Correct!

not very hot here in vancouver canada so not that

the ski is a 2013 rxtx 260 with no bilge installed yet. has about 23hrs and the rpms around 7900-8000 when hitting 62mph

sigmarxt; thanks for the suggestion about false speed readings. i dont have anyone around with a stock rxtx, most of my friends have lots of mods done. also i was hitting about 65-66mph before the trouble code.

+1
    Your electronics are not supposed to be just flopping around by there wires..
    You could have pulled something loose.
    Sounds like the pre purchase checklist was over looked..

of coarse just my luck. i have gone through all the plugs, unplugged and plugged them back in alone with all the fuses. still has maintenance light pop up once in a while. if the problem is fixed will the ecu clear the trouble code itself or does it need to be reset with buds?

Thread Information