Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Does the novelty wear off?

Hi. I'm a 24 year old guy from NJ considering becoming a Waverunner owner and was hoping to get some feedback from experienced owners. I'm in the market for a new 2012 VX cruiser and was approved for the current 36 month/3.99 % promo and a 5 year yamaha warranty. I usually rent a ski for an hour once every summer and have been wanting a ski since I was 14. I was able to test drive the vx cruiser and am satisfied with the ski's power, handling, and comfortability. I'm wondering if the novelty wears off after becoming an owner? I understand the maintenance costs and other responsibilities that I will have being an owner compared to just going to a marina and renting a ski. I'm planning on keeping the ski in a garage at home and launching it from a trailer when I ride. My dad used to own a 23' outboard boat that i have experience driving and assiting in launching from a trailer.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    For me the novelty has worn on, not off.
    Everyone has their element, mine is H2O.
    I ride more now then I did 20 years ago.
    Out here we ride all year 'round. In fact ocean is calmer and less fog many times in the winter. Less crowded too.
    The VX ski will have you riding more then wrenching.

Is there a minimum water temperature the water needs to be to ride on?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Some guys up north throw on 5-6 ml suits and ride unless water is frozen, like BryanP in Lake Michigan.
    Here Pacific drops from 60's to high 50's so not an issue at all.
    Being safe is most important. Cold water/hypothermia.

5. +1 by:

What's the maintence timeline, the hourly rate vs warranty?

+1
    You know that sense of freedom that you got when you first got your license??

It's even better than that

8. +1 by:

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    On a VX......change oil at 10 hours, look over the whole ski for loose nuts and bolts....etc, grease a few spots.....before every ride give it a good look over to make sure every thing is where it belongs.....then change oil every 50 hours or once a season (another good time to look every thing over), which ever comes first, at 200 hours check valve clearances....all this info will be in your service guide you get with the ski....

One thought though you may get bored with 53-55 mph ski pretty quick....and not much to mod on it for speed....jmho

Chances are you wont ever need the warranty, but one engine failure and it will pay for it self may times over....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jvdrummer182 View Post
    Hi. I'm a 24 year old guy from NJ considering becoming a Waverunner owner and was hoping to get some feedback from experienced owners. I'm in the market for a new 2012 VX cruiser and was approved for the current 36 month/3.99 % promo and a 5 year yamaha warranty.

I usually rent a ski for an hour once every summer and have been wanting a ski since I was 14.

I was able to test drive the vx cruiser and am satisfied with the ski's power, handling, and comfortability.

I'm wondering if the novelty wears off after becoming an owner? I understand the maintenance costs and other responsibilities that I will have being an owner compared to just going to a marina and renting a ski. I'm planning on keeping the ski in a garage at home and launching it from a trailer when I ride. My dad used to own a 23' outboard boat that i have experience driving and assiting in launching from a trailer.
    If at all possible ride some other Yamaha models, and perhaps some other brands.

The Yamaha VX is a common rental machine, but it can be hard to find rentals of anything but the base models, in any brand.

I have found that the rental models are often the sloppiest handling, least fun machines from a given manufacturer. Not zero fun, but certainly not my choice for a long term relationship.

Find a watercraft enthusiast group in your area, and try to hook up with them. Even if they will not let you test ride their own personal machines (especially since you are inexperienced), usually you will get plenty of opinion on the handling, size and feature differences. And be able to see them in the water, operational.

See a recent thread by DrivingZiggy to read through his selection process. He ended up with a pair of Yamaha FX HO machines.

11. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    keep in mind the two happiest days of a jetski owners life:

1-the day you buy it
    2-the day you sell it

in regards to the fun wearing off..ask the guy who married the stripper or bought his GF some plastic boobs.

Life is what you make of it. You're barley started.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    keep in mind the two happiest days of a jetski owners life:

1-the day you buy it
    2-the day you sell it

in regards to the fun wearing off..ask the guy who married the stripper or bought his GF some plastic boobs.

Life is what you make of it. You're barley started.
    Best answer ever. lol.

To me when I made the jump from renting to owning I just wanted to make sure I was going to make it worth it. If you only go out once or twice a month and only ride a few months out of the year in the Summer...IMO it's not worth buying a brand new ski and having that payment every month all year...no matter if you're riding or not. I guess you just have to ask yourself how much are you really going to be able to ride and how much your payments/maintenance will be versus just renting or maybe even buying a decent used ski for cash.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information