Question on sponsons for SLT 750

Hi Everyone!

I have done a bit of searching and can't seem to find the answer I am looking for so I am hoping someone will be able to help. I have an 95 SLT 750 that I absolutely love, but, last weekend I ran across a problem I haven't really ran into before. I ride solo 99.9 % of the time, I also usually ride on weekdays when the lake is pretty smooth. I do ride 2 up once in a great while, and I hadn't really noticed it as being that bad, well, last weekend I had 3 on board and the porpoising was horrible. I will be having 3 on board more often in the near future so I need to solve this. I have ordered an Ocean Pro "Ocean" ride plate to start with. I also want sponsons and don't see any in for sale thread. Elsewhere I did see an oem set for a 2001 Virage TX 1200. Will these fit? If not, what other models would interchange with the SLT? After these 2 items is there anything else that is a good upgrade for the 750 SLT? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jack

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

How heavy will the total rider weight be? Three up can be a lot for the 750 SLT, depending on how big the people are.

What kind of water will you be riding when three people are on board?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

How heavy will the total rider weight be? Three up can be a lot for the 750 SLT, depending on how big the people are.

Weight will be around 450. Most of the time will be on water that gets pretty choppy. Most of our lakes in AZ are from damming up canyons so the wakes gets reflected back off of the rock walls and it gets real bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Racer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Weight will be around 450. Most of the time will be on water that gets pretty choppy. Most of our lakes in AZ are from damming up canyons so the wakes gets reflected back off of the rock walls and it gets real bad.
    From the Polaris Service Manual;
    1995 SLT750 - Rider Capacity 3 person/500 lbs.

That 500 pounds includes all gear stowed on the watercraft, plus all gear worn by the people, and the people themselves (wet). So you are operating right at the upper limits for that hull and engine, weight wise.

In addition to handling issues, think about reboarding in deep water. If people fall off (often everyone at the same time, when it happens), would everybody be able to climb back on from deep water?

While the SLT hull is fairly stable for its size, it will be somewhat tippy with two people on board, engine off, while the third person trys to get back on. For safety reasons, you cannot start the engine and use thrust to stabilize the hull while any people are still in the water.

If it was me, I would be looking for a larger hull machine, perhaps a Polaris Genesis. The Genesis is rated for four people, and is roomy when only three people are aboard. It is also wide and more stable, especially at low speeds and with the engine off. The Genesis is also the smallest four person PWC made, so it still has some playfulness despite the size rating. The top speed fully loaded would be similar, and probably faster, than the SLT750. Acceleration would be stronger.

In any case, I would want a boarding step installed at the rear, which makes reboarding easier from deep water, even for one person, and certainly for the last person.
    Last edited by K447; 08-27-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Also, there was not an Ocean Pro plate made that fits the SLT 750s. They fit the SLT 780s, SLTH or SLTX/Virage hulls. The ride plate for the SLT 750 was unique and not interchangeable with any of the other Polaris plates. If you are good with tools and metal work, you could modify an existing plate to fit.

+1
    I would think you can make any sponsons work. There is an installation guideline for putting them on. As long as the height and location is correct, any sponsons should work.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    All very good info posted ^^^^.

Yes, the 94 and 95 SLT 750 is in it's own class when it comes to the ride plate. The Rend brand or Lake City plate (same ride plate, but different name) is difficult to find any more. I highly doubt the OP plate will fit your ski.

As for the sponsons, I'd try to stay with something from an SLT as they are less aggressive as some other models. Like these.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Polaris...670138&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-SLT-...3fa28b&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Polaris...9ff243&vxp=mtr

Here are the installation directions to help you locate them on the hull if/when you get a set.

Post #4 http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15441

Thanks for all the great suggestions. A different ski is monetarily out of the question so I will look at the different sponsons until I find something I like the look of and go from there.

One other question, is there anything to watch out for when towing someone on a tube?

Thanks again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Racer View Post
    ... A different ski is monetarily out of the question ...

One other question, is there anything to watch out for when towing someone on a tube?
    The decision to carry passengers, and under what conditions, is entirely your responsibility. If you feel that your current machine is not entirely suitable or some passengers are not a reasonable risk (for whatever reasons), then do not ride under those conditions.

When towing a tube, many jurisdictions require room on the watercraft for everybody who is on the tube, plus a driver, plus a spotter. That means driver and spotter and only one person on the tube. A four person watercraft could have two people on the tube.

There are commonly understood hand signals between the tuber and the spotter. Make sure everybody understands what these signals are. The spotter also needs to be able to read body language and realize when someone is scared, about to loose their grip, or just needs a break.

The purpose of the driver is not to throw the tubers off the tube. If the tubers end up not happy or hurt, then it was not a good ride.

Learn how your watercraft handles with a loaded tube behind. The rear of the hull will tend to ride low when towing, so make sure the water depth is deep enough to not suck up the lake bottom. The tow rope plus the spotter will make the handling different.

Make sure the rope is the correct length. Too short and the jet blast hits the tube riders in the face. Too long and the whipsaw can be excessive.

When changing direction, do not allow the tow rope to become slack.

The engine will be working hard while towing, yet the hull speeds through the water will not be as fast as normal. This can result in lugging the engine at some throttle positions or needing a carb adjustment to ensure the engine does not run lean or overheat. Make sure the fuel system and carburetors are 100%.

Fresh spark plugs, possibly one heat range cooler, might be helpful.

+1
    Don't run over your slack tow rope. Getting the tow rope sucked up and tangled in the jetpump/driveshaft is a real pain. You very likely will need to tow the craft back and put it on the trailer to get it out.

If you do a lot of slow speed tubing... or have to idle a ways pulling a tube to get past the no wake areas... buy the good smelling 2-stroke oil. Your tubers will thank you!

Cheers!

Thread Information