Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Battery Guru Opinion Needed

So here's the dirt on the '06 SD RXT - Replaced the OEM type battery w/a recommended new sealed type AGM battery in February. Don't rem. the brand, but it met the SD specs. At same time, bought new "smart" charger - the tender/trickle type that can be left on 24/7. By April the battery was pretty much dead and not holding a charge. Dealer took it in and traded for a new of the same kind - Rem. my purchase and knew I was using the right charger. Dealer told me that as far as batteries go - "if 100 new batteries came out of the factory today, 2 to 3 of them will just be bad; it's the nature of the business..."

Dealer puts on initial charge of April's replacement, I bring it home and do the rest. The ski crapped out on the water last week - local authorized SD dealership replaces a starter relay and also informs me I have a bad battery. Back to the battery store - confirmed - my replacement battery was also bad...WTH? I was told by the dealership that me getting 2 new "bad" batteries back-to-back was like finding 2 needles in the haystack.

This time, at no charge to me, the battery store gave me a DEKA AGM ready to go.

My questions is:

Is there any way that my ski would make a new battery bad even though it's being properly maintained (as per the battery dealer and SD dealership)? Other thoughts/opinions?

Banned User
    +1
    What kind of battery was it that was failing? A lot of us have had great luck with the Dekas. I have had a few Odysseys too, but the Dekas seem to be a stronger battery.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    ... bought new "smart" charger - the tender/trickle type that can be left on 24/7...
    Be more specific about this smart charger. Some cheaply made chargers are not so smart.

Does the charger specifically say that it is AGM compatible?

+1
    Yep - it's compatible according to the specs. It's a NOCO Genius (G750).

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Yep - it's compatible according to the specs. It's a NOCO Genius (G750).
    Well, without actually monitoring the voltages the charger is delivering to the battery, it is hard to say whether that charger is actually doing its job properly.

Since you have had two batteries fail, both using the same charger, I would be looking for a different brand charger for my next battery.

+1
    AGM batteries have to be set up properly or they will have a short life.

If you call a shop and they tell you they'll have a battery charged up and waiting for you, you don't want that battery.

The proper way to set it up is to first pour the electrolyte into the battery, then WAIT 4 hours for the electrolyte to be absorbed into the glass mat. THEN slow charge; the best way that I know is to use a "Battery Tender Plus" which will vary the voltage for proper battery setup (read their FAQ for the details).

If you do that, and keep the battery on the Battery Tender during periods of inactivity, your AGM battery will last for years. You don't need an "expensive" battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post

If you call a shop and they tell you they'll have a battery charged up and waiting for you, you don't want that battery.

The proper way to set it up is to first pour the electrolyte into the battery, then WAIT 4 hours for the electrolyte to be absorbed into the glass mat. THEN slow charge; the best way that I know is to use a "Battery Tender Plus" which will vary the voltage for proper battery setup (read their FAQ for the details).

If you do that, and keep the battery on the Battery Tender during periods of inactivity, your AGM battery will last for years. You don't need an "expensive" battery.
    DING DING DING and we have a winner. 99% of battery stores don't do this and this is the exact reason why the fail after a few months.

+1

Correct me if I am wrong, but ARENT all AGM's sealed????? How would you add/pour the electrolyte/acid over the glass mat??? We sell the DEKAs and have never added anything, they are SEALED from the manufacturer. My Deka rep even swaps out my inventory monthly to ensure I only have current inventory. We never charge them before selling them and they work great.....

I have 7 years on a Deka AGM, bought it, installed it and ran the shit out of it. Only charge it in the winter.....

9. +1 by:

of the few hundred batteries ive installed over the years, AGM are the only ones that seem to last. I do miss the days when batteries lasted for 5-6 years.

Banned User
    +1

You really only want the factory sealed AGM batteries such as the Deka. The so called AGM batteries that you have to fill just aren't as good. The Polaris machines that I run require the battery to be nearly perfect to fire the plugs upon startup. The ONLY battery I have found to do this on a consistent, reliable basis is the Deka.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information