Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hull Paint Protection

Does anyone use anything to protect the paint on the bottom of there hulls?

I've realized that the paint on the bottom of these hulls is crap. It scratches for anything.

+1
    Yea...don't worry about it. If you don't want scratches just keep the ski in the garage and throw a cup of water on it every once in awhile so you can say you got it wet.

Gouges are different but easily fixed with West Marine epoxy. There is a thread on GH that details the use.

I say this in all seriousness. There is nothing that will prevent hull scratches and they are really no big deal.

Banned User
    +1
    Paint is not incredibly difficult to repair. If you are really concerned, 3M makes a film you can apply over the paint. That may help some.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Paint is not incredibly difficult to repair. If you are really concerned, 3M makes a film you can apply over the paint. That may help some.
    I was thinking about that but wasn't sure if that film would hold up in the water and those speeds. I was scared of it coming off and being sucked in through the grate.

+1
    I do a lot of beaching with my FX and what I ended up doing was applying Herculiner to the bottom of the hull between the inner strakes and works like a charm. I was also getting a lot of dock rash as well and applied it to parts of the upper deck as well. Looks and functions good. It didn't hurt handling or speed and I ran it the entire length of the hull from the bow to the pump inlet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FX Herculiner 1.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	312460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FX Herculiner 2.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	312461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FX Herculiner 3.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	312462  
    Last edited by jetpilot785; 09-03-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added pics

Quote Originally Posted by jetpilot785 View Post
    I do a lot of beaching with my FX and what I ended up doing was applying Herculiner to the bottom of the hull between the inner strakes and works like a charm. I was also getting a lot of dock rash as well and applied it to parts of the upper deck as well. Looks and functions good. It didn't hurt handling or speed and I ran it the entire length of the hull from the bow to the pump inlet.
    Does that stuff come off though or its permanent on the paint?

+1
    Now that is pretty slick if it doesn't effect speed or performance. Don't see how it can't but if you say so.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmfmk3 View Post
    Does that stuff come off though or its permanent on the paint?

It can be removed but not very easily as it is a roll on type truck bed liner. You scratch up the surface with a heavy grit paper, clean with mineral spirits and use either a paintbrush or roller to apply. To remove you would have to do some heavy sanding and would have to refinish if you wanted a nice look.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    Now that is pretty slick if it doesn't effect speed or performance. Don't see how it can't but if you say so.
    I did contemplate that for awhile and came to the conclusion that protection was more important than all out performance so I went for it. As a result the ski was .1 mph faster from where it was before and there could be several factors that could have played a roll so I just say it didn't hurt speed and the ski feels the same in the handling department. One could argue the fact but 2 things I have learned over the years is a rougher hull tend to be a little faster as air bubbles reduce drag and in closed course racing the scratched up hulls didnt hurt handling and sometimes it felt like the rougher hull held a better line but it could be a mental thing as well but the rougher hulls certainly never made enough difference either way so I went with the rougher texture coating to protect the hull from rocks and sand when beaching the craft.

A nice little FYI is some of the best offshore racers in the world run a rough textured hull to reduce drag in the water. I know it's comparing boats to pwc but the laws of physics still apply.

+1
    I would just leave it. IMO anything you do to it to prevent scratches will make it look worse then it being scratched in the first place. Any gouges just use west marine epoxy it works great. To prevent the hull from being scratched do the following:

Do NOT beach the ski, if you are staying at the beach anchor it in deeper water.

Be careful around docks, keep your speed low.

When trailering don't trailer with the cover on.

When coming into the trailer keep the speed as low as possible and use the winch to pull it all the way up on the trailer.

Cover the ski when it is not in use no matter what the weather is.

Keep indoors when not in use.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information