Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

SLT700 with Ignition Update Kit - Can the wrong plugs cause hard starting in water??

I've got a customers SLT700 that almost refuses to start in the water. Here's the background on this ski.

Customer bought it and it ran fine.....started cutting out once in a while...................that turned in to cutting out and dropping to half speed more and more........then it would only run half speed and never any more.....

tried changing plugs and it didn't help (BR8es not the correct BPR).....

I get the machine and find a bad stator........can't find one anywhere so we get a brand new update kit and update the whole ignition.......at the same time replace all grey Tempo fuel lines and clean out filter, switch, and carbs........

now, machine starts fine on the trailer, and sometimes in the water......most times in the water just crank, crank, crank, and nothing.......pull it out of the water and crank, start!.....

made sure carbs were spot on AND tried low speeds 1/2 to 1 turn out with no difference......full choke, pumping carbs, or shutting off fuel makes no difference......checked for good spark while cranking in the water and it looks just fine.....pull it back out of the water and it fires right back up after only 3-4 seconds......

Can the BPR plugs make that much difference in the "under load" starting of this machine? Didn't change anything inside the carbs from where they used to be, just cleaned them....

Also when it does start up it runs just fine and will idle all day, but if you shut it off it probably won't restart.....also pulled plugs and cranked looking for water to spray from plug holes but that's not it either,...plugs have nice coloration.

So.....any ideas here?
    Last edited by K447; 10-24-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Weak battery would be my first guess. The water in the jet pump puts an extra load on the engine, the starter draws more amperage to turn the engine, battery voltage sags below the minimum threshold = no spark.

When you are checking for spark are you removing a spark plug? With one or more spark plugs removed the engine cranks easier. All plugs in, harder cranking, lower battery voltage to the CDI = no spark.

The CDI must have more than 10.6 volts or you will not have spark.

No warm restart. My guess for that is that the CDI needs the Red/Purple to Orange wiring change, per Service Bulletin PWC-00-05. Details via my signature links.

3. +1 by:

CRJ, GGG

+1
    The "P" is for projected electrode, should get the correct plugs in it but for the issue your having, Probly not the cause as the heat range of the current plugs are the same as the recommended. Double check u have the plug wires on the proper cylinders. Have you checked the compression?

+1
    id agree a weak battery will hurt it. slow cranking with plugs in while in water does put lots of drag on the starter. start with correct plugs gapped to spec, get the carb within spec as well. i find i need a higher idle setting in water then when on the trailer. my trailer idle settings made the ski hard to start in the water. then try a battery swap.

+1
    Don't forget to check compression. Too low compression will make for hard starting in the water but start fine out on the trailer. Well... that's the case for my 4-stroke Weber... not sure if the 2-strokers are as affected by low compression.

Cheers!

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    I find all jets skis suck to get started, but if you crack the throttle while cranking most start right up. My buddy's sea doo will kill three consecutive batteries holding the choke and hitting the start button, but it you had three hands it would start first shot every time. Its funny I use one hand on the choke, one on the start button and use my forearm to crack the throttle and that POS GTI starts first shot every time.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    I find all jets skis suck to get started, but if you crack the throttle while cranking most start right up...
    Carburetor engines, you be speaking of.

Polaris chokes usually don't need a hand on them, friction should hold the choke in position. One hand on the Start button, one on the throttle. Once started, the choke setting does need to be partially opened, of course.

For the SeaDoo, perhaps moving the Start button to the throttle side of the handlebar, racer style, would allow it to be started with only two hands.

The fuel injected engines just start, hot or cold. No choke. One of the reasons I like them

+1
    I've run the BR8ES plugs in the past (I don't buy them, just when they've come with skis) and never had an issue. For how cheap they are it would probably be worth getting a fresh set of BPR8ES's in the ski. But, chances are near zero that this is your issue.

I'd start with the battery, check out it's voltage when cranking and then when just sitting. If the battery is good my next thought would be that it's possible that the stator is starting to fail. Is the issue aggrivated when the ski is warm or has been run for a bit?

+1
    Stator and whole ignition system is new update kit. Plug wires on either cylinder for the new coil. Have not metered the voltage dropout while in the water, it's a new battery as of this year but I'll check it out. Red/pur to orange wire hot start was my first thought but it did NOT help it. I was in fact pulling one plug while checking spark. Compression is 135 dead even on the cylinders. I will buy some BPR plugs and take my AGM battery and meter to the lake and drop it in again. Will post findings.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    I find all jets skis suck to get started, but if you crack the throttle while cranking most start right up...
    Carburetor engines, you be speaking of.

Polaris chokes usually don't need a hand on them, friction should hold the choke in position. One hand on the Start button, one on the throttle. Once started, the choke setting does need to be partially opened, of course.

For the SeaDoo, perhaps moving the Start button to the throttle side of the handlebar, racer style, would allow it to be started with only two hands.

The fuel injected engines just start, hot or cold. No choke. One of the reasons I like them
    What they make fuel injected jet skis??? I might have to join this century. None of the dash mount chokes stay up but the button is close enough you can start an SL with two hands.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information