Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

what do your plugs look like

I would like to see some pics of plugs from an x blower with 42# injector setup. mine are uncomfortably white with very little tinting, The heat range looks a little on the hot side to...

+1
    You cant really tell a whole lot from the plugs on these engines, they look white as fuck on the stock 255-260hp boats but then they do run quite lean from the factory.

The X blower 42s on stock intercooler is a well proven "safe" setup, infact she will be quite rich right up to 7000 on a stock 04 ecu from the testing I have done.. I was seeing 12.3-12.5 at 8100 which seems to be OK at that boost.

What fuel are you using??

R88

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    You cant really tell a whole lot from the plugs on these engines, they look white as fuck on the stock 255-260hp boats but then they do run quite lean from the factory.

The X blower 42s on stock intercooler is a well proven "safe" setup, infact she will be quite rich right up to 7000 on a stock 04 ecu from the testing I have done.. I was seeing 12.3-12.5 at 8100 which seems to be OK at that boost.

What fuel are you using??

R88
    Man thats scary! Im all about reading plugs on my boosted cars as they really do tell a perfect story on timing and fuel... I'm running 93 pump gas. Im really suprised at how lean these thing run. 12+ on my LS engines and it wouldn't take long before I had nice melted paper weights...

Plus, with jetskis you'll find a lot less people willing to read the plugs accurately. In other words, yea they might pull their plugs and tell you what they see - at their house, or maybe on the trailer! But that's looking and reading a plug after how long of a drive at idle speed through their no wake zones???
    I don't hear of any guys going out and chopping the throttle after WOT, pulling their plugs and then reporting back.

Hell, I'd be lucky if I could get 2 freak'n people to tell me how their external ICs are acting 'on the water' during a hard ride to see how much water they *might* be hosing their engines with, heh.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Question, is idle RPM a good reference for plugs? Mine are dead and idle RPM is 1600-1700rpm ...

+1
    True.. I pulled mine right after a hard 73mph pull was a little worried. I checked them again on the trailer and only found them to have a slightly richer indication on the base circle. Still quite a bit leaner than what i'm use to seeing.

+1
    You would be scared of how much timing they run too... Mid thirtys BTDC is very common at WOT... 40+ in the mid range, alot of that is down to the fact the prop is not loading the engine very much at lower rpm, it would be like mapping your car in first gear you could safely run more timing because the load on the motor is lower..

If you are worried and want to know, IMO you need an AFR gauge, they do run lean yes but with X charger boost its not too much of a problem, put it this way I have never seen on here or in my own expirience somebody melt an engine with an X charger...

The stock class race boats are in the 13s WOT... The stock 255-260 craft from the factory are in the high 12s...

The motor is also over square which helps with deto, combustion chamber shape is also good for that. Plus they have forged internalls from the factory.. They are not invicible however.

R88

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    I don't hear of any guys going out and chopping the throttle after WOT, pulling their plugs and then reporting back.

If you don't chop your plugs for a read, you are flirtin with a meltdown. Plain and simple. It's not that tough to pull off anywhere with a good float plan.

I don't have a real problem, as I can run everything short ofmonsters in my tank..I found a place on the lake where I can run a monster at top speed, chop the engine and coast into some shallows for a quick plug read.

Luckily, only one customer needs that from me, it takes far more time then I can charge for, but I made a good buck installing all the stage two stuff, so now and then I get into it on the lake.

The owner of the ski is a bit of a worry wart so at least twice a year he wants a speed run to be sure his engine isn't going to grenade when he's pulling his wife on waterskis

Quote Originally Posted by spouk3 View Post
    Question, is idle RPM a good reference for plugs?
    Not if you're trying to get down to the nitty-gritty of things (like hardcore tuning). But for just basic/general inspection (like trying to simply determine if they're ready for replacement), yea.

But I can tell you that Ive personally felt a seat-of-the-pants difference between old plugs (I think they were at 20hrs) and brand new ones. That's why I change my roughly every 10-12ish hours or so.
    And if the rider can feel the difference (that is, if he's paying any mind to it at all), then you know those boosted cylinders are noticing the difference too!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    You would be scared of how much timing they run too... Mid thirtys BTDC is very common at WOT... 40+ in the mid range, alot of that is down to the fact the prop is not loading the engine very much at lower rpm, it would be like mapping your car in first gear you could safely run more timing because the load on the motor is lower..

If you are worried and want to know, IMO you need an AFR gauge, they do run lean yes but with X charger boost its not too much of a problem, put it this way I have never seen on here or in my own expirience somebody melt an engine with an X charger...

The stock class race boats are in the 13s WOT... The stock 255-260 craft from the factory are in the high 12s...

The motor is also over square which helps with deto, combustion chamber shape is also good for that. Plus they have forged internalls from the factory.. They are not invicible however.

R88
    WOW, thats crazy! Hard to wrap my head around that much timing and AFR! Is that really where they are making the most power? I guess the saying holds true "lean is mean!"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information