I just can`t believe this-me bad

Good grief I can`t believe those handle bar extension were way stuck in the bars, and I mean welded with corrosion. I didn`t want to butcher my new SeaDoo cover, even though it stays indoors, I wanted to put the cover back on to keep it crap free, and sometimes I`ll pull it outside if I need the garage for something when it`s cold out. So I thought it was simple to just remove the extention kit and finger throttle, NOT! I started with the throttle side, pulled the grip and this white chalky crap was all inside of it. I knew what that was. Some lube a couple of taps, compressed air, yadda yadda yadda I got it to move and walked the rest of it out with a little punch, not marking it up to badly, cleaned up that piece when I was done and re-installed the thumb throttle and adjusted the accel cable, cool. Now the other side, removed the grip and this side was way worse, lots of powder, I soaked it , heated and cooled and heated and cooled, created a little space to get a tool in there, NOTHING, it was a gone-er I tryed to grab it reluctantly with the vice grip and ripped the end off. NOW What, I followed the pattern for the insert for the grip bolt and used my die grinder and whizzer to clean that all up and wound up tapping the broken part inside the bar just enough to slip in the insert. Put the grip on and called it a day. Boy was I pissed, the finger throttle kit was only in there for approx 6 months. The anodize didn`t protect sh!t. I don`t get it!? the machine is always washed with fresh water after every ride. Maybe I should have put antiseize on the damn things, good grief...PR...
    At least I can now put on the Cover, sheesh...

+1
    I used anti-sieze on mine...Although I don't think that is how you spell it..

Well not thinking, I saw they were anodized and just slipped them puppies in there. Now I know, I won`t be doing that again! It almost looked like electrolisys...PR...

+1
    Salt will find its way into just about anything. Corrosion can weld parts together very quickly...as you found out. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Richard

Richard, never in a million years would I have thought that would occur in such a short time period, hence my land based motorsports experience...Even my past boats and another ski were kept meticulous. I just couldn`t freakin believe what I saw... Andy...PR...

wow, it didn't even cross my mind that the covers would not fit with the handle bar extensions!! any way of getting around this?? I would like to purchase a cover A.S.A.P and I have the extensions and I think it would be a bit inconvenient to have to take the extensions off EVERYTIME you wanted to put the cover on. Richard, got any covers that will work?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    you can put a little slit in the cover for the handlebars and it'll fit no problem...

my plan is to stop by a upholstery place or dry cleaners or seamstress with the ski oneday and the cover and have them open up a seam somewhere or add a little slit/extension to the cover... couldn't cost that much to do, maybe 20 bucks or something.

+1
    Seems that none of the OEM covers are made exactly the same, as some fit and others do not. If they don't fit, you only have to put a slit in one of the handle bar ends, not on both.

Richard

Richard, I think it was just easier to cannabalize the inserts in stead of hacking up my less expensive cover, NOT...LOL... I just want to go in the corner and yak!...PR...

Thread Information