Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine blow up.

Engine blow up.

I had my 2003 Yamaha FX cruiser engine blow up this week end. Itís a (or was a clean ride well taken care of) clean ski with 109 hours on the meter. A cooling line popped of the bottom which caused it to take on water a couple of weeks ago. I got it home and took out spark plugs and got it running with no problems. I then took it to my local ski dealer who has someone there that I have known for 15 years. The shop changed the oil twice to remove and water in the engine ($190 bucks) and also reattached the cooling line. It ran great for about 20 minutes at slow speeds (wife driving) then boom . After pulling back to the ramp I found the oil filter in the bottom of the engine compartment attached to a chunk of metal.

So what you guys think? How much will it cost me to rebuild? Does the shop have any liability in this?

Should I scrap the ski? Rebuild it my self? In my early days I have built a couple of push rod car engines. Are these things overhead cams?

Thanks in advance.

+1
    After pulling back to the ramp I found the oil filter in the bottom of the engine compartment attached to a chunk of metal.

That does not sound good if there is truly a piece of the block attached to the oil filter I would assume you have major failure! Does the motor still crank? Im not familiar with that motor but broken aluminium block usally mean a new block I would tear it down and see what the problem is (bet you bent a rod when you had water in the motor and then when you ran it it broke) If that is the case there is no way the shop would have easily know you had a bent/damaged rod

did the shop note that there was possible damage caused or was this just assumed ???... call them see what they say... I say your luck ran out ..

How about this company. Its $1800 swap plus shipping.

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=40-4

+1

Unhappy

dan,we changed oil many times to get all the water out,moer than 2 time (13 qt of oil later) to get all the water out,we allso ran it on hose 10-15 min at a time with open oil cap to let last of mosture out,(we have flushed many rental ski's and have never had loss) your ski seemed fine,as for motor failing I can not say why,machine was running when it can in, so I can't tell if it was hydro locked,we check plugs and I stuck scope in sparkplug hole everything seemed fine.

give me call at shop if I don't call you first

later cd

some swear about SBT.. some at... some for... What they'll give you for your trashed core may make up your mind...shop around .Word is they'er getting better...
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 03-12-2007 at 12:49 PM.

CHIP, Iím sure that you guys did what needed to be done, thatís why I go to you and will continue to do so. I take my stuff to Chip not Jet W. But shóhappens. Mick wanted me to call you yesterday but I did not want to bug you about stuff like this on your day off. I remember the days when people would show up at your door on a Sunday afternoon. HEHEHE.

Iím just curious about options, my first question will be my salvage value. I might have access to a 2006 FX cruiser 50 year anniversary with less then 10 hrs on it for $8,000. The math might make since to trash the ski.

But I donít want to spend the $.

Thatís life, you play on the water you pay.

Iíve been lucky enough to have never had an engine blow in my drag racing days or with any of my skis that I have had.

w/rpm500 you are correct about the core value of my engine. I called them, they are very nice and informative on the phone. But they said that Yamahas rarely have catastrophic damage to the block, but if they are unable to repair the old block it is $1400 bucks above and beyond the $1800. I just walked out side and turned it over a little, it does turn over with a hard nock. I would think that it has a rod blown out some how since it broke the oil filter off. These new 4-stroke engines sure do get expensive to rebuild now a days.

+1
    I would tear her down before doing something drastic! May not be that bad! Or you may be able to do a rebuild with some goddies (head work , high compression pistons, ect) also a few years back i got (actually dealer did) kawasaki to warranty my motor with 80 hours on it because a rist pin pulled out the bottom of the piston! obvious defective pistion. Did not cost me a dollar! (well I actually tipped the mechanic and shop forman $200 buck each for there awesome work)

+1

Cool

lets see,if we take the motor out of the rxp. FXDOO? (jk)

later cd

+1
    There's no way it hydrolocked. That would have happened the first time you fired it. The fact that it ran for 20 minutes says that's not the problem.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune - hope things turn out well for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information