Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water in Hull

+1

Water in Hull

For the last seven years or so, my hull has always taken on some water. It is a pretty good amount. I have a bilge pump and I have to tilt the ski just right to get the bilge to pick it up. I have put 5200 all over the ride plate & pump bolt inserts, so I know it it not coming in there. I have even sealed off my duckbills with 5200, (since I have a bilge now). The areas it has left to come in now is from cooling lines, intermediate housing, or exhaust hoses to and from the waterbox. I do not see anything coming from the waterbox hoses, or exhaust. I have not given the intermediate housing a good look yet, or the incoming cooling line to the exhaust manifold. This problem is really an annoyance. After I am finished riding I have to lower the trailer all the way down and place a towel under the front of the motor to soak it up. One towel always gets the job done, but the towel is usually completely soaked. Any ideas? Thanks.

CHECK THAT INTERMEDIATE HOUSING... I have seen alot of the WR'S having corroded in that area to the point of leaking badly into the hull..

+1
    My housing looks fine (not corroded, never been in salt water), but I know they can still leak. What is the fix for it if it is leaking there? All you can really do is make sure the bolts that bolt it to the wall are tight, correct?

a good sealer...mark its placement before removing it, so you can reset the alinement .
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 03-12-2007 at 10:27 AM.

+1
    If it is leaking there, I will try putting some 5200 around the entire housing where it meets the wall, before I unbolt and slide the motor forward to pull housing, that is not any fun!!

you may be able to do that ...there is a little 'play' to work with ...

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    RPM is right on. Mine was leaking from there for a long time. Crappy foam seal

+1
    Damn, you would know where it is most likely leaking is the the biggest PITA to fix. Even when the housing is unbolted, it is a bear to get it to slide forward, and I will probably have to slide the motor forward. I have checked intermediate housing when it was just sitting in the water and it was not leaking, although I hear they can leak when the ski is running.

+1
    I put weather stripping around every possible place on the motor that could be leaking water, and around the intermediate housing, and went and rode yesterday. None of these areas are leaking. However, I did find a few places where the hull is leaking. In the rear compartment, underneath the the first rubber hose connection to the water box, a hull seam (where the brown glue covers the seam), is leaking. Also on the other side in front of the battery a seam is leaking. It also appears one of the seams in the engine compartment, in front of the motor is leaking. I plan on sealing all these seams with 5200.

Leaking...

Mine leaks too, pretty badly I guess. When I am riding it's fine, but if I sit still with the engine off it takes on water pretty quickly. I have tried hosing it down from the outside to watch for water coming in, I have tried to put water in the hull and see where it runs back out, all without luck. I had it in the shop for a carb clean and they even tried to figure it out but couldn't. Said they could pull the engine and check but that would be another 2 hours labor, so I guess it just will still leak ; Luckily I store it on a lift...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information