Jet ski sitting in garage for 2 years won't start

My father has a 2001 polaris jet ski that has been sitting in his garage for two years and hasn't been started. Today I replaced the battery put in gas checked the oil and tried turning it on, but it's showing me a red light with LOW FUEL and LOW OIL warnings even though oil and fuel are fine. There is half a tank of gas and the oil that was there for those two years looks to be enough of. The engine cranks, but won't start. Tried pulling the choke and starting it, but no go, it already shows low battery.. Also shouldn't the display show how much fuel and oil is left? The display shows zero bars.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Sounds like you need to work through some maintenance before running the engine. Even if it starts, it still needs the servicing before you go riding. See my signature links for some pointers.

Which model is this machine?

Confirm the model year from the last two digits on the HIN number plate on the rear deck.

Replaced the battery with a NEW battery? What kind?

It's a 2001 polaris virage with 750cc not sure what the exact model is yet.

The battery I bough is this 12v ETX16L- http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...16l&showTitle=

I managed to turn it on and run it, but for some reason the light is still flashing red and showing low fuel and oil.

The battery is a MagnaPower 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Powersport Battery, 325 CCA and the jet ski is a 2001 polaris virage 750cc

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by september View Post
    I managed to turn it on and run it, but for some reason the light is still flashing red and showing low fuel and oil.

The battery is a MagnaPower 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Powersport Battery, 325 CCA and the jet ski is a 2001 polaris virage 750cc
    Virage two cylinder carburetor engine is 700cc, not 750.

That battery looks like it is made by Deka, so it should be fine. Be sure to fully charge it (initially) using an AGM compatible smart battery charger.

You can disconnect the fuel sender and oil sender plugs. The connectors are near the top of the tanks. Later on we can determine why the warnings are appearing.

Make sure the oil sender's rubber top is fully seated into the oil tank. If the front of the hull is low (hull is not level), then the oil will flow away from the sender at the rear of the tank and cause a Low Oil warning.

In normal operation, fuel and oil must be above 1/8 and 1/4 tank respectively to not trigger the level warnings.

When the engine is first started, it is normal for the MFI display to 'wake up' and flash the red lamp for several seconds. You can also wake it up manually by pressing the Display button.

Thread Information