Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Anti-performance question: quieting a 15f?

Howdy,

I've heard this is the wildest, craziest part of the site, but I figured I'd give it a try...

I really love my new 15f. If there were one thing I could change about the ski, I wish it were just a little quieter-- I'm admittedly a little more sensitive to noise than most people.

Does anyone have a serious suggestion as to how to hush this machine down a little bit (from the rider's point of view, anyway)? Bonus points if the answer were non-destructive and reversible.

Thanks in advance!

+1
    I am certain our STX-15F resident expert - Sean - will contribute and add his input / advice.

Glad you like your new Kawasaki !!!

Banned User
    +1
    What year ski is it all stock ? Does it have the second water box ? Cheapest easiest mod is ear plugs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Cheapest easiest mod is ear plugs.
    ---------

I knew someone would say this

5. +1 by:

+1
    It's a new, 2013 model. Mostly, there's a bit more "drone" when getting on plane and at a lower cruising speed than I'd prefer. I do think the idle sounds awesome, though...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by terminaldegree View Post
    It's a new, 2013 model. Mostly, there's a bit more "drone" when getting on plane and at a lower cruising speed than I'd prefer. I do think the idle sounds awesome, though...
    How fast is the lower "cruising speed" to you?

Since it's new I'm assuming it's under warranty to where exhaust mods would be frowned upon.
    So throttle up. No need in listening to drone to get on plane, throttle up and it will plane almost instantly. Don't ride at the lower cruising speed if that is where the drone is, throttle up.

I have heard the noise complaint before and I just don't understand. I have a 2009 15F with the single waterbox exhaust like the newer ones and it's quieter than the rest of the ski's my family have.

Welcome to GH!!!

Liked your intro...
    "I've heard this is the wildest, craziest part of the site"
    See my signature quote...
    Originally Posted by dawson
    really the kawi performance section is like the jerry springer show of green hulk

+1
    Thanks for the input so far. TexasZ (I used to live in San Marcos, by the way), there's a very long 30 mph limited zone in one direction from our home port, and on the weekends it's often necessary to run 25 mph through there due to traffic and boat wake in what we call "the narrows".

Otherwise, the ski certainly likes to cruise more in the 35-50 mph range, no doubt. The St. Lawrence river is rarely "flat water", unfortunately, except for some out of the way spots or early in the morning on weekdays...

+1
    Ah, I now read of/see your imposed restriction on throttling up at times. Unfortunately, I think you're probably stuck in a "it is what it is" situation.
    You could mod in a resonator from one of the older 2 stroke STX's, but a more practical approach might very well be the ear plugs suggested earlier...or else a music playing apparatus of your choice.

+1
    There 'is' one simple to do mod to try to see if it will help any. It will cost ya about 20 bucks and five minutes worth of labor to install it. On the 2004 thru 2008 15F's they had what they called a reed valve at the outlet of the exhaust. It is basically a rubber piece with some splits in it that open up more as exhaust pressure increases. Part #12022-3714 reed valve. It is 12022 in this diagram. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...%29/parts.html

The reed valve might restrict the exhaust a tiny bit more, but the 2009 and up exhaust outlets are already restricted in size compared to the older 2008 back exhaust outlets. See the size differences here. Post #1 bottom picture.http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...5F+exhaust+mod

+1
    Thanks, that looks like an easy thing I could try, for sure. Forgetting about the performance side of things (sacrilegious as it may sound), do you think this change would do anything to harm the durability of the motor in any way?

Where do you ride, anyway? Canyon Lake?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information