Starting/key issue (2012 RXT)

I'm not exactly sure where to even start with this because I'm totally confused. Brought my two skis (double trailer) to the dealer to service a check engine light which turned out to be a fault in the roll-over sensor. Since they only needed to work on one they shouldnt have had to even touch the second one. Anyways I picked them up today, this afternoon I took them both out. At the dock I had a starting issue with the one they did work on. I did the normal press start button, put on key, press and hold start till it turns over. But for some reason today I pressed start, gauges did their thing it said welcome aboard and then it said reading key even though my key wasn't anywhere near it. 1-2 seconds later and the screen went blank. Did this a couple times. Eventually I just got some DW-40 and wiped off the key post and key it self and put the key on right after I pressed on and it worked and then I was able to start it. The second one started no problem. Fast forward an hour or so everything was fine but we were headed into a new area and came up on a sand bar. My buddy and I shut them off and hopped out so we could walk the skis across the sand bar through the shallow water. We both got back and and this time neither one will read the key and they're both doing the same thing that the first one was before. This time the one that originally had the issue earlier today started up after a few minutes of messing with it, the second one took like 30 minutes. It sucked cause the wind was blowing at a decent speed and I was standing in the water trying to start this thing and keep it away from the rockiest sand bar I've ever seen. Eventually, like 30 mins later eventually I had my buddy tow me and the ski a little ways away from the sand bars into open water. I left the key on which kept beeping every few seconds. After maybe about 45 seconds of towing I got the double beep and then tried to start it and what do you know it works. I read something about post issues, but the fact that it happened to both of them on the same day, when one was worked on at the dealer and the other wasn't? Seems odd. I feel like this is a dumb question but is there any way that the computer system could be effected by cloud cover? I know it seems dumb but idk haha I just figured cause it has that GPS in it. I have no idea I'm just grasping at straws here. Gonna call the shop tomorrow and see what the tech says. Thanks for the help.

+1
    Nope cloud cover will not affect your skis....

Maybe the dealership plugged them both in for updates and screwed something up??

This wouldn't be the 1 st time that I've heard of a new tech messing something up..

Only other thing I can think of is the keys got some what bent out of shape and the contact points aren't touching. But that wouldn't explain why when there's no key on it, it says there is and then turns off.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the magnetic switch in the post is bad. It's closing with no key to read on the post.

It's a common fault point which a quick search would turn up.

key goes on post, magnet in key closes switch, computer reads key number and if it's good, the ignition system unlocks.

Can I fix that or do I need to take it to a dealer? I thought it could be that cause I did read about that online but since it happened to the both of them at the same time I kind of doubted it. I really don't want to take it back to that dealer.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    not under warranty?

don't think it's that strange that they both seemed to have problems at the same time.

I had two Ultra 150's a couple of seasons ago that spriung leaks at the driveshaft seals within 24 hours of each other.

Stranger things have happened.

I did a learner key for a 2011 a while ago and while the key seemed to program ok, the ski wouldn't recognize it for a start.

It's my opinion after seeing what's up with DESS ver 2011 is that something is amiss. Too many people are having to tickle the keys and sing broadway show tunes to get the skis to unlock.

I eventaully got the ski to recognize the learner key..but I was stumped for a good hour and was even considering buying a couple of oem seadoo lanyards in case the "old" style was no good.

Post is going to run you around $100. Plan on an afternoon of careful work to swap it out. make sure all the splices are fully waterproof

you can order a seadoo oem post right here..just use the link along the top bar, far right.

Of coruse you should test the post continuity with the key on/off a few times before tearing it all apart. if memory services the black/yello and black wires connect to the magnetic switch in the post. cut those wires and then put a continuity meter on them and try the key a dozen times. You'll know right quick if there is a real problem with the post.

While those mag switches should be good for 100k+ activations, they fall like flies on a cold day for some reason. So many in fact I keep spare posts on the shelf, as it is a weekend killer when they go out.

Thread Information