Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1997.5 gsx ltd. What is the deal? have a chance to get one right. Info app.

Long story short, I have a shot to get one with low hours(supposedly) Grey top. red bottom, tittled as a 98, buuut. From my readings comp test should be 130-145ish on the cylinders. Bike is pretty clean, is on a trailer, all i need to fix is the vts , from the looks a power window motor could fit the bill. I am into the hot cars/bikes, have a few offshore power boats, so I am not a idiot when it comes to wrenching on things, but skis are kinda new since I have not been into it in a bit. I have heard some back and forth on that year 951. What is the main issues I could see? Ski ran 55 on gps not long back, again is clean. I know fuel lines may be a issue, i plan to do away with the oil inj as soon as i get it. Just look to keep it reliable. Thanks for any and all info guys.

John

+1
    The problem is that the white motor was in service for 6 months. Then the brought out the grey motor. It was rushed into production for racing purposes. White motor parts are VERY hard to come by. The cooling system is different, the carbs are different, the pipe is different. You may want to find a true 98 GSX, all red and purple trim or a 99, red with black trim.

After some reading I see that the white engine is not the crowd favorite, however with some basic upgrades( carb jetting, removing air box, adding arrestors, updating the exhaust gasket kit, should solve the noted problems. The carbs can be changed from the later grey 951 to the white, also some others as well. The pipe and the impeller on the .5 is also supposed to be better. As I said I am looking for what to really look for when going over this thing. I imagine that if all of it mechanically checks out, then it is prob just fine? If it hasn't took a crap in the last 10 years that it should be ok. I know that buying used things esp 2 strokes are a basic gamble, but it would seem if iit has good comp, is clean in and out it is good. Looking for guys that have had this particular white engine ski. Thanks folks

John
    Last edited by Fenderjack; 08-29-2013 at 02:18 PM.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The problem is that the white motor was in service for 6 months. Then the brought out the grey motor. It was rushed into production for racing purposes. White motor parts are VERY hard to come by. The cooling system is different, the carbs are different, the pipe is different. You may want to find a true 98 GSX, all red and purple trim or a 99, red with black trim.

Tiny, wasn't there an issue with the jet pump or tunnel size that created a problem with that rated hp motor that was discovered after production?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    my take on the white motor was that it was more prone to water ingestion for what ever reason...carbs maybe?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

Tiny, wasn't there an issue with the jet pump or tunnel size that created a problem with that rated hp motor that was discovered after production?
    Not that I ever heard of. I do know that they released it for racing purposes as BRP was getting killed in the 1100/1200 class in racing since at the time all they had was the 785 or the 787.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    my take on the white motor was that it was more prone to water ingestion for what ever reason...carbs maybe?
    I think that was the old air box design that did that, because the true 98's had the same problem. Then they updated the air box.

Ok so not to beat a dead horse. If all the mechanical issues such as impeller wear, ring, compression, such check out, then it is more then likely the engine will be reliable. I have no problem fixing some issues along the way that could be potential problems, just not looking for a grenade. The engine is very clean, at one time could have even been replaced. It is actually cleaner then the ski. The real stories of horror that have been coming up was as you all stated, the water ingestion, but it is all basically hear say, have not had any one personally say XXXX happened to them. Seems as if the problems were due to not going over the ski between rides, checking things out, maintenance. Like I had said, I have read that alot of the problems other then possible ring clearance issues can and have been addressed with other parts. Now looking into newer posts on these, more parts can be interchanged then thought back in the 2000's/originally. Just looking for a reason to or to not get this. The price is 1200 on a trailer, the hull has zero issues/gashes ect. it is in great shape. Again thanks all,

John

+1
    I bought one brand new when they came out. Had it 2 seasons with zero issues EXCEPT, the RAVE bellows would swell and fall off causing a 400 rpm loss on top end. Nothing the updated bellows or some SS wire didn't fix. It should be noted however, I never screw around riding in any way that could allow for water intrusion.

+1
    update the cooling and later carbs, shitcan the enleanment system, and it will do pretty good, after blowing three motors in less than a hours time, i learned. also contact Jim here on the board, he's the 951 guru !!! once i did everything he told me to do, it never failed again, its still running strong, and the oil injection works just fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information