Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 sl900 drive shaft

I am trying to replace drive shaft bearing. I have the jetpump out. I cannot get the drive shaft to come out of the engine coupling. It goes back and forth some (like 1/4 inch). It feels like it hits a hard stop. Based on the schematics I've seen, the drive shaft should easily slide out. That aint happening. I have pulled pretty hard. I am nervous of damaging the engine coupling. I could use a slide hammer maybe grabbing onto the shaft sticking out the back. Another optoin, I am trying to grab (clamp) onto the shaft inside the hull in front of the bearing and pry against the engine coupling. No success so far.

Does anyone have any advice here? How hard can I pull on the shaft?

Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The drive shaft should just slide out. It may be catching on deformed splines inside the coupler, or catching inside the through-hull bearing.

Sometimes I have needed to use rather large force to get it to let go. Just don't hurt anybody or anything when it does suddenly release!

Try not to scratch up the drive shaft surfaces with tools. Easy for me to say ...

An alternative is to unscrew the coupler from the engine (use the rope trick in the PTO cylinder). Lift the engine up (lots of stuff needs to be unbolted) and then slide the drive shaft forward under the engine, with the coupler still stuck on the end.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mgriff View Post
    I am trying to replace drive shaft bearing. I have the jetpump out. I cannot get the drive shaft to come out of the engine coupling. It goes back and forth some (like 1/4 inch). It feels like it hits a hard stop. Based on the schematics I've seen, the drive shaft should easily slide out. That aint happening. I have pulled pretty hard. I am nervous of damaging the engine coupling. I could use a slide hammer maybe grabbing onto the shaft sticking out the back. Another optoin, I am trying to grab (clamp) onto the shaft inside the hull in front of the bearing and pry against the engine coupling. No success so far.

Does anyone have any advice here? How hard can I pull on the shaft?

Thanks.
    I usually wrap a strap around the shaft and put both feet on the trailer while pulling like crazy. Be sure you are cushioned behind you, cause you will fall...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I usually wrap a strap around the shaft and put both feet on the trailer while pulling like crazy. Be sure you are cushioned behind you, cause you will fall...
    I have used this method at times;

Attach trailer to tow vehicle. Make sure bow of watercraft is well secured to the trailer. Use a second strap from trailer frame to bow eye.

Tie a hefty web strap or strong rope to the end of the drive shaft. Tie or hook the other end to something really solid, like a strong wall or a big tree.

Make sure the trailer and hull is exactly aligned with the far end attachment of the rope, so the pull will be exactly in line with the drive shaft. Tow vehicle must be aligned with the trailer, wheels straight ahead.

Put cardboard or padding down under the driveshaft. It may launch out of the hull when it lets go, so plan for it.

Drive the tow vehicle forward really slowly. Something will give. Hopefully it is the driveshaft.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I have used this method at times;

Attach trailer to tow vehicle. Make sure bow of watercraft is well secured to the trailer. Use a second strap from trailer frame to bow eye.

Tie a hefty web strap or strong rope to the end of the drive shaft. Tie or hook the other end to something really solid, like a strong wall or a big tree.

Make sure the trailer and hull is exactly aligned with the far end attachment of the rope, so the pull will be exactly in line with the drive shaft. Tow vehicle must be aligned with the trailer, wheels straight ahead.

Put cardboard or padding down under the driveshaft. It may launch out of the hull when it lets go, so plan for it.

Drive the tow vehicle forward really slowly. Something will give. Hopefully it is the driveshaft.
    POP!

Thanks for the input. I want everyone to know I tried all of these methods and broke all kinds of straps. I broke 500 lbf rated ropes, straps. Here is what really worked. I bought a shaft collar (2 piece) from mcmaster.com. put it around the shaft near the engine coupling. Used a crowbar with the point against the engine coupling. With about 20 or 30 lbf, and about 1/8 inch at a time, I was able to walk the shaft out. Was pretty amazing how easy it was.

+1
    ... I bought a shaft collar (2 piece) from mcmaster.com. put it around the shaft near the engine coupling. Used a crowbar with the point against the engine coupling. With about 20 or 30 lbf, and about 1/8 inch at a time, I was able to walk the shaft out. Was pretty amazing how easy it was.
    Post a link to the collar you used.

Photos?

Here is the shaft collar (7/8" shaft)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shaft-collar2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	314237

Here is what it looked like on the shaft just by the engine coupling

Name:	shaft-collar.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	314238

+1

Here is what it looked like on the shaft just by the engine coupling

Name:	shaft-collar.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	314238
    That's a pretty dandy tool to have. Good find!

+1

What is the McMaster-Carr part number for that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information