Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

First ride ever,first ride after rebuild need guidance please

Guys this will be my first ride ever on this ski and also the first ride after total rebuild, new pistons,rings,seals,gaskets running 32:1 pre mix (oil pump delete) etc.

I would like to know what I need to do for break in and what tools to bring out with me.

if anyone has a link to another thread that answers my questions or has a step by step (new wave runners for dummies) book please let me know.

Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    Boom!!!!!!

+1
    Bring a tow strap and a pinch off pliers. And make sure you know what hose to pinch off if you need a tow back to the dock.
    Here's the worst possible case scenario...sinking the ski. So make you don't have any massive leaks. Next worst could be the engine stops running and won't restart. So stay somewhat close to shore for a little bit, in case you need to swim/drag that ski back in.
    Things to bring: Tow strap, hose pinch off pliers, spark plug socket and ratchet, extra spark plugs (old ones are ok as long as they aren't fouled), and some zip ties. keep more tools and stuff in you tow vehicle so you can work on the ski back on dry land if needed.

Thatdude stay the fuck!!!!! Out of my threads and off the site for that matter you never have anything useful to say.

Cutlas thanks for the info.... Any special running in of the engine I need to do ? I have read some guys run 5 min at a certain speed and then stop check stuff (not sure what) and then make another run. Or can I just wide open and hope for the best.

Thanks

5. +1 by:

+1
    Everyone has a different break in procedure. And if I were to recommend a procedure that I follow, someone will come in and shoot it down because they do it differently.
    That being said, I wouldn't do any WOT for the first tank full of 32:1. So idle around for 5 minutes, then slowly warm it up using 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. Maybe pull back into the dock and let it cool down for a bit. pop the seat off and look for excessive water in the hull.
    Head back out, warm it up a bit then do some 1/2 throttle or less riding for a while. head back to the dock or Float around to let it cool down (maybe 5 or 10 minutes). then finish off the tank riding less then 3/4 throttle.
    Next tankfull, use 40:1 premix, warm it up slowly, and then ride WOT if you want.

That's basically how I'd do it.

+1
    And remember, you almost guaranteed not to do any damage to the engine at less then 3/4 throttle. 99 percent of lean meltdowns happen at WOT. So make sure the engine is running nice and rich at WOT.

Cutlas

Thank you sir that is exactly what I was looking for......a little guidance.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chevydog View Post
    Thatdude stay the fuck!!!!! Out of my threads and off the site for that matter you never have anything useful to say.

Cutlas thanks for the info.... Any special running in of the engine I need to do ? I have read some guys run 5 min at a certain speed and then stop check stuff (not sure what) and then make another run. Or can I just wide open and hope for the best.

Thanks
    Settle down little fella just joking at first tough guy! Now i will fit back and smile when it goes boom!

Yes never have you help either when posted the same questions that's been asked 100 times. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Everyone has a different break in procedure. And if I were to recommend a procedure that I follow, someone will come in and shoot it down because they do it differently.
    That being said, I wouldn't do any WOT for the first tank full of 32:1. So idle around for 5 minutes, then slowly warm it up using 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. Maybe pull back into the dock and let it cool down for a bit. pop the seat off and look for excessive water in the hull.
    Head back out, warm it up a bit then do some 1/2 throttle or less riding for a while. head back to the dock or Float around to let it cool down (maybe 5 or 10 minutes). then finish off the tank riding less then 3/4 throttle.
    Next tankfull, use 40:1 premix, warm it up slowly, and then ride WOT if you want.

That's basically how I'd do it.
    +1. I also make a point not to stay at any specific RPM for any longer period when breaking in a new motor.

After it's been heated up and cooled down once or twice, go through the bolts and clamps and make everything is still tight. A good double-check in case you missed one on initial assembly

+1
    Good post cutlass. Maybe someone could make this a sticky. As far as using the search to find info on here it's a joke. I don't have time to look through 400 posts. Good luck with the break in chevydog, and ignore thatdude596 he is useless to this forum.

12. +1 by:

CRJ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information