Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Ultra 250 Fuel Range

Saw this posted on another board -

Got some milage numbers today on a 54.81 cruise down St. Johns river. I was with (2) Sea-DOO GTX limited SC, IC, (1) GTX SC and (1) Honda turbo. Fill my tank all the way to the top so I know it was full. Cruise mostly 30 to 40's and full throttle for 2-3 minutes max. After 54.81 Miles, my low fuel was on (came on very near the end) and my gas gauge shows 1 bar out of 8 bars. Each of the 27 mile track took right at 2 hrs.

The Honda gauge shows half tank, 1 GTX Limited shows 2 (he rode harder) the other GTX limited 3 bar out of 8, GTX also 3. Went to the gas station immediately after that and put in 13.9 gallons.
    >>
    >>

I think I'm going to pull a fuel barge this year

Tom

Mine did pretty close to same thing, I figured my mileage at 4mpg, looks like yours doing about 4.1mpg. It depends now on how much useable fuel we have available, I am hoping at least 18 gallons. That would give about a 72 mile cruise range.

Someone needs to produce a tank that holds 30 gallons. Then we'd see about 112 miles before feeding time.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tbyrne View Post
    Someone needs to produce a tank that holds 30 gallons. Then we'd see about 112 miles before feeding time.

LOL

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    we need the R&D fuel pickup, sounds like this dud still had over 6 gallons in his tank and was showing as empty

+1
    The R&D fuel pickup, or any other that enables the tank to be emptied completely, might be detrimental to the engine or fuel pump. In rough water the fuel splashes around in the tank. The plastic tanks used in PWC have no interior baffles to prevent this sloshing of fuel. When the fuel level is very low, air will be sucked up by the fuel pump. If you want to be able to safely empty the last couple of gallons out of the main tank, a secondary tank should be installed to prevent fuel starvation. The aluminum cylinder from a fire extinguisher could be used with a fuel barb (intake) installed at or near the top of the bottle and a fuel barb (exit) welded near the bottom of the bottle. This system would provide an uninterupted flow of fuel to the injectors. Where to mount this secondary tank might present a problem ?? If a fire extinguisher jug is used, it should be mounted in a vertical position if possible.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    The R&D fuel pickup... might be detrimental to the engine or fuel pump...When the fuel level is very low, air will be sucked up by the fuel pump...
    Richard,

Not sure I follow you...It seems like the fuel pickup being lower in the tank would prevent (or at least delay) the opportunity for air to be sucked in.

Scott

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottmsc View Post
    Richard,

Not sure I follow you...It seems like the fuel pickup being lower in the tank would prevent (or at least delay) the opportunity for air to be sucked in.

Scott
    A lower pickup will definitely delay sucking air, but when the fuel level gets down to near the bottom it will probably be more prone to sucking air than if the tank had a few gallons left in it with a higher mounted pickup.....maybe? maybe not? maybe my thinking is off ?

The solution is still to mount an small auxiliary tank with a narrow diameter somewhere in the ski. One of those Mercury canister fuel filters would also serve this purpose.

Richard

Fuel mileage is the worst of any ski I've owned. Never thought I'd be using my GPR as the cruiser because it gets better mileage.

Kawasaki is playing it very safe with the low fuel warning. You do not want to ever lean out a supercharged ski for even a couple of seconds, especially with the boost levels the ski is running.

I do believe the manual is wrong about the remaining fuel. Think is was supposed to be 5.8 not 8.5. It will take just at 14 gallons when the low fuel has been blinking for only a couple of minutes. That would seem to add up to the proper total for the tank.

Means you've only got about a 50 mile range when driving moderately, lots less if you do a lot of full throttle work. Kind of disappointing since some Marinas do not carry premium gas and I don't really like buying gas on the water. Guess it's the price of performance but I thought staying out of the boost would help mileage but it's not much of a difference, might as well run it hard

+1
    Four miles per gallon is all I get on my highly modified single pipe.

If you want gas milage buy a motorcycle.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information