+1

Fix Your Leaking Hatch Covers on RXT-X 260 Models

I bought my new 2013 RXT-X 260 4 weeks ago and after the first trip out with it, I was stunned how much water was in the bilge. After checking all the hoses and making my way to the back I started looking at the the shape of the hatch covers and how they were not laying flat all the way around. I stuck my head in the bilge area and my wife started pouring water from a bottle on each hatch cover and I couldn't believe my eyes. Water was just rushing in the bilge. We're not talking a few drips, I mean a steady stream in certain spots. I asked her if the hatch cover was secured properly and she said yes. I then called the dealer and they tried to tell me BRP knows about this problem and won't cover it under warranty. I raised a little bit of hell and they replaced the hatch covers with brand new ones under warranty. They told me that this may not fix the problem. Well they were right, the new ones leak too but not as bad as the originals.

Clearly it's up to me to get this fixed right so I ordered a closed cell 3M silicone foam tape with adhesive on one side from McMaster-Carr. This foam tape restricts absorption and is flexible and has a temperature rating of 400 degrees F. So i purchased a small 15 foot roll of this foam tape, item# 5109K23 and went to work. I prepped the surface by wiping it down with denatured alcohol to remove any oils and residues and started applying the foam tape to the edge of the openings. It went down nice and smooth and easily conformed to the curves of the cutouts.

I secured one hatch cover and stuck my head again in the bilge and had water poured all along the hatch cover. This stuff worked perfectly and not 1 drop of water entered the bilge. I tested the other side and same results. The foam tape created a barrier to hold back the water which you can see in the 3rd picture. Problem solved and it was a cheap fix. Would be nice if BRP would just apply this same foam tape to all of the new skis with these covers to avoid having new owners aggravated with a brand new ski that leaks the very first time you take it out.

Hope this helps someone here with the same problem!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hatch-1.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	311824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hatch-2.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	311825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hatch-3.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	311826  

+1
    Did you try adjusting the "hinge" screws to put the right amount of pressure to seat the gasket into the groove?

Mine seals fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    Did you try adjusting the "hinge" screws to put the right amount of pressure to seat the gasket into the groove?

Mine seals fine.
    Yeah I did and they just wouldn't seal properly.

The gasket material I installed is working perfectly. I took the ski out this past Friday and the bilge was dry after riding for over 4 hours.

Banned User
    +1
    I noticed on the right opening, you didn't follow the curves all the way around...is there a reason for that? I have yet to remove my "tubs", by myself. I've seen them off at the dealer, and I think I get the removal process? Pull the center of the rivet out a bit, then reach in and squeeze the rest, and pull the plastic rivet all the way out?
    I've notice I get a tablespoon, sometimes more, sometimes less, out of each of my bilge drains after a ride. And, that's probably were it's coming from-because it's somewhat consistent. However-it really doesn't matter how long I ride......I went for over an hour, on really smooth water-and got way less than a tablespoon out of each.
    And, on one of my first rides, when it was really choppy, I got the most out-about 1 1/2 tablespoons. My rear "hatch cover" does seem to seal pretty tightly..but, I'm just wondering if I need to spend $20+shipping on some tape, or is this just the normal amount of water an iS gets in it?
    I have the boat in my signature.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    I noticed on the right opening, you didn't follow the curves all the way around...is there a reason for that?
    On the corner where the round cutout for the latching arm is, I brought the foam tape in closer towards the cutout to prevent the orange color being visible between the door hatch and the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    My rear "hatch cover" does seem to seal pretty tightly..but, I'm just wondering if I need to spend $20+shipping on some tape, or is this just the normal amount of water an iS gets in it?
    I actually asked my dealer if the hatch cover on the IS models leak and he said he hasn't heard or seen one that leaks. He said it's just an issue for the skis with the small hatch covers.

Banned User
    +1
    My dealer says the opposite; he said ALL iS models leak at the rear hatches.
    If it starts to become an issue, i'm subscribed to this, so I can easily find the link to the tape-thanks.

+1
    Just an update,

The foam tape is working perfectly. In fact, I used it on my glove box and around the opening of the engine compartment under the seat and the hull is staying bone dry. I've put 7 hours on the ski since adding this foam tape and it's doing its job

I have the 09 version if the same ski. Only issue I had was, there are rubber caps on the adjusting screws. My right rear was missing these runner caps / bumpers and it allowed some water in and it vibrated.

Got two new caps for free from the dealer, problem solved.

Does the 2013 model not have adjustment screws?

+1
    Yeah mine came with those caps but the actual hatch covers were warped. I tried adjusting that post with the cap on it and it didn't help. The dealer tried too and it didn't work. So far so good, everything is now water tight!

Thread Information