Carb experts!! How do I remove the fuel line nipples on the carbs? Pics included..

I have a 2001 xlt 1200 waverunner. For the last 2 weeks, I've been trying to do Bill's carb modification on them. I've successfully rebuilt and rejetted 2 of the 3 carbs. The middle carb was destroyed trying to remove the low speed adjuster screw. The heads snapped off and basically made the carb useless. I ended up buying another set of carbs off ebay. Once again, the middle carb's low speed adjuster screw was seized and I couldn't remove it. I was able to to successfully remove the low and high speed adjuster screws on the PTO carb however the fuel line nipples are different when you compare the PTO and the middle carb. How do I remove these nipples and transfer them to the other carb? Are they press fitted? I tried unscrewing them but I didn't want to damage the nipple. Any ideas here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04467 edit (Large).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	311834

By the way, the carb on the left is the one where I was able to remove the high and low speed adjuster screws. The carb on the right is the one with the stuck low speed adjuster screw and is unusable.

+1
    Dude, those are some rough looking carbs!

Unscrew them. Brass is soft so they should come out pretty easily. If you mess them up, let me know and I will send you some to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Dude, those are some rough looking carbs!

Unscrew them. Brass is soft so they should come out pretty easily. If you mess them up, let me know and I will send you some to replace them.
    Yea they are pretty rough looking! I plan to scrape them down and paint them with black epoxy paint.

I took another try at them. I was able to remove one of the nipples. I turned them with an adjustable wrench but they are not screwed in! They are press fit in since the nipple I was able to remove did not have any threads. I was able to turn all the nipples 360 degrees which means they aren't seized in there. I just have to find a slide hammer or something to pull these nipples out.

+1
    Mine are all threaded fittings. These are the Mikuni 44 "I" carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Mine are all threaded fittings. These are the Mikuni 44 "I" carbs?

I believe so. They are the stock carbs from a 2001 xlt1200 66v.

Well I successfully transferred the nipples from one carb to another. I took a look at my spare carbs from a 2005 xlt and noticed that the nipples are threaded. I guess they changed them over after my year.

try warming them with a torch, may help with the seizing issue, take care and make sure there isn't any fuel left in them.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    get some new carbs. those in my opinion are not worth the trouble rebuilding. It's only a matter of time before that level of corrosion causes internal air leaks in the carb body

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    get some new carbs. those in my opinion are not worth the trouble rebuilding. It's only a matter of time before that level of corrosion causes internal air leaks in the carb body
    Only the outside was bad. The inside of the carbs weren't too bad at all and what ever corrosion there was, I was able to remove with a brass bristle brush. Ski runs great out of the water. I'll have to wait till next week to test it out in the water. Thanks for the replies.

Thread Information