Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Ultra 150 running issues...

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I just purchased a pair of ultra 150s not too long ago. The first I purchased is a 2000 which had 25 hrs. on it and all it needed was a rebuilt jet pump and it runs great. The next ski I purchased was a 2001. This ski has 147 hrs. on it but was supposedly rebuilt and the rebuild has roughly 25 hrs. on it.

The 2001 had several aftermarket add on parts which consist of:
    R&D red heads 42cc (I believe)
    MSD Plug wires
    Shredmaster ride plate
    ADA sponsons
    Solas 16/20 impeller
    Extended steering nozzle
    UMI steering

Now comes my dilemma. Upon purchase of the ski I was not able to put it into water and ride it before purchasing (which may be my first mistake ) due to the distance I traveled to pick the ski up as well as arriving late at night, but the previous owner started it up and everything sounded and looked fine and he swore it ran great. Therefore I took his word for it and hauled the ski back home. Once I got it home I gave it a simple check over and got it ready to hit the water.

Upon the first ride I discovered the jet ski wasn't running correctly. The ski appeared to vibrate a lot compared to my 2000. After a light warm up, I went for a ride and noticed it will not rev past 4,000 rpms, WOT and it stays at roughly 4,000 rpms for a bit and eventually it feels as if the engine "kicks in" and the jet ski takes off reaches about 5,500 rpms and 42-43 mph and that's it. Then the jet skis begins to cut out. The cutting out is extremely rapid and feels as if it is an electrical issue. If a sharp turn is made the ski will clear up and rev to 7,000 and sound crisp as it should then once you get going straight again the cutting out begins again.

I tried switching the two sealed boxes near the battery with the the two from my 2000 in hopes of finding the problem but the ski still ran the same. I checked compression and I have 115-110-115 which I believe appears low for a 42cc head except for the fact that where I live is at 7500 ft. of elevation. (The ski used to be ran at sea level, and my 2000 with a stock head shows 90-95-90). So I think the compression is ok. The pump has been shimmed to spec, the plugs are brand new, the carb has been removed and cleaned. I also noticed the plugs in the first two cylinders from the front of the ski to the back are a greyish color while the last cylinder looks to be burning cleaner.

Sorry for such a long post but just wanted to describe my issue as fully as possible. If anyone has any idea as to where I need to start or what my problem may be I'd appreciate any help or info that's to be offered!

Thanks!

I feel you have a carb issue, specifically since they are not all the same shade. Out of the water will it rev to 7k? Also compression is very low on both and I tend to lean towards your gauge. A good stock engine has around 120psi with heads it should be even more...

Hello turboman,

Thanks for your reply. Do you think it is a tuning issue with the carbs or something else? Yes out of the water it will rev cleanly to 7k. Do you think I should purchase another compression gauge to compare against?

+1
    Welcome aboard, nandos_z!

At that elevation, compression won't be very high, and your power output will be limited as well. I think you're OK in that department.

Sounds like you have a fuel problem, possibly the inline filter. You may have a slide that's sticking in one of the carbs.

I would really be concerned about gray plugs. That often indicates METAL from the engine. Plugs should be tan/brown.

These things have the oil injection system intact, right? You cannot remove the oil injection on that engine (without a lot of work).

You might post pics of the plugs.

Thanks for the warm welcome Steve!

I will be picking up a new filter today to replace the inline filter as well as taking the fuel pump out of the tank to clean the filter I've been told that is in there as well.

Concerning a sticking slide, I removed the carbs and gave them a cleaning initially and reinstalled them and started the ski and revved it while looking inside each one with a mirror, to verify they were opening and they all appeared to open just as they should. Perhaps they are still sticking?

The oil injection system is still intact and the oil lines are good. The oil is getting to each of the carbs as it should as far as I can tell.

Upon removal of the plugs now, they grey color seems to have diminshed perhaps from the idle time in the no wake zone while loading the ski? I'll get the pics up regardless here in a second.

Thanks!
    Last edited by nandos_z; 08-29-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Plug pics

Plug 1,2, and 3 From front to back of the ski... These are br8es by the way. Which is what the previous owner was running.

The proper plugs to run are br9es. One thing about these carbs is there is no adjustment. The carbs have the slides with a diaphragm at the top. Here's a tip when installing the diaphragm use juat a few drops of super glue to hold them in place they can get very tricky to get correct. With the carbs on the bench you can test the slides with compressed air by just applying the opening in the front of the carb. Seeing those plugs I am concerned about your carbs. What condition are they in? Corrosion? Dirty? These carbs can be a handful sometimes. Since you have one good running ski you could try swapping carbs and going kn a quick test run before grabbing another set.

Btw What size jets are in this carb?

+1
    I was going to mention the filter inside the tank, but if it's like mine, the pickup has warped so badly with age that it doesn't filter anything anyway.

Have you done a 'plug chop'? That's where you ride at high speed and shut the engine off, remove the seat, inspect the plugs out on the water. Often the plugs will foul while idling back to shore and you won't get an accurate reading.

I'm still suspicious of the grey plugs... The 9's are cooler so see what it does with them.

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    The proper plugs to run are br9es. One thing about these carbs is there is no adjustment. The carbs have the slides with a diaphragm at the top. Here's a tip when installing the diaphragm use juat a few drops of super glue to hold them in place they can get very tricky to get correct. With the carbs on the bench you can test the slides with compressed air by just applying the opening in the front of the carb. Seeing those plugs I am concerned about your carbs. What condition are they in? Corrosion? Dirty? These carbs can be a handful sometimes. Since you have one good running ski you could try swapping carbs and going kn a quick test run before grabbing another set.

Btw What size jets are in this carb?
    I've got the carbs out right now and the area with the jets and and needle is clean there appears to be no build up or corrosion in there. On the other hand, where the diaphram goes, after I removed the diaphrams the carbs were filthy. I will reassemble them after cleaning and check the slide movement with the air compressor as you suggested.

I had considered swapping the entire carbs over from the good running ski (2000) to see how the 2001 ran with them. The only concern was that the jets may cause the ski to run too lean since the carbs on the 2000 are completely stock with the 165/48 jets. (on second thought looking at the service manual jet adjustments for elevation, that may be exactly the jetting I need for my elevation?)

The jets in the troublesome ski's carb are: 170s and 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I was going to mention the filter inside the tank, but if it's like mine, the pickup has warped so badly with age that it doesn't filter anything anyway.

Have you done a 'plug chop'? That's where you ride at high speed and shut the engine off, remove the seat, inspect the plugs out on the water. Often the plugs will foul while idling back to shore and you won't get an accurate reading.

I'm still suspicious of the grey plugs... The 9's are cooler so see what it does with them.
    I took the tank filter out and it was not dirty at all. The inline filter did have some trash in it but didn't appear to be restricting flow. A new one has been fitted regardless.

I have yet to do a "plug chop." I will attempt one the next time I can get out on the water. (Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday.) In the mean time I am going to try and get everything lined out such as cleaning the carbs extensively and testing them and ensuring everything is in proper working order.

I went ahead and got the 9's and threw them in the ski as well.

Thank you guys again for the help! Greatly appreciated.

Is there any chance the throttle position sensor could be faulty? Also do you guys think I need to be running higher octane fuel with these heads?

The throttle position sensor doesn't do much.. deff would not cause the issue at hand.

With those heads you should be fine running 93.

I'm still leaning on the carbs, you might have to source out another set. Corrosion anywhere isn't good and these can be very finicky. Went through issues with hard start and bog mid throttle, swapped the carbs and ran better.

Was this a salt water ski?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information