Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Heavy smoke coming from SLX1200

Hey Guys. I love the site. I have lurked for a while as I have worked to get two skis that I purchased about a month ago back into working condition. I am a first time ski owner so if I ask a stupid question.. I apologize. I have a 2000 SLX 1200 that hasn't ran in about 4 years. The engine was brand new and never put into the water and when started, appears to work great. The only issue is that I am getting really heavy smoke out of the exhaust that doesn't dissipate as I run it over a period of time. My question is two prong. First off, how would you approach the issue. The service manual gives me instructions on how to adjust the oil pump however when looking at what to troubleshoot in rich situations according to the service manual it doesn't give the oil pump adjustment as a potential issue. Anyone have any ideas on where they would start on the troubleshoot? Second question deals with putting the ski in the water despite the smoke. Anyone see an issue with putting the ski in the water to see how she runs as I work to get the smoke issue troubleshot? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Banned User
    +1
    Its a 2 stroke. Smoke is not a bad thing. How long were you running it? If you put it in the water and run it for a bit, the smoke should go away. Its probably just excess oil in the motor.

I have run it a couple of times for about 10 minutes on a flush kit and started it a dozen times or so for 5-10 seconds and it emits heavy smoke every time. Wondering if the carb was rebuilt correctly or the oil pump set correctly after the engine rebuild.

Banned User
    +1
    They do tend to smoke until they can reach operating temperature. Go run it on the water, I bet it goes away.

+1
    I agree, they do usually smoke more while running colder.

also the rule of thumb is to flush for about 4 minutes

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Rich usually refers to the fuel to air ratio during combustion, not to oil. Some folks use rich to mean more or too much of either, but that gets confusing.

A brand new engine will have oil smeared inside of it during assembly to protect and lubricate the internal bearings and surfaces until it is put into service. It takes a while for that sticky oil to burn off, and usually the first run of the engine under load at heavy throttle clears it out.

Excessive idling and engine running without a water load just accumulates more oil and combustion byproducts inside the engine.

See my signature links for lots of useful info.

Note that TWO minutes is considered the upper limit for run time on the garden hose. The drive shaft and jet pump seals are water cooled when the hull is floating in water. These seals can overheat from friction when run excessively on land. Once you have cooked the seals, they should be replaced. Jet pump bearings should be inspected anyways, since it has sat for a long time.

Usually there is no need to run an engine for more then 10-20 seconds on land, and this can be done without the garden hose.

Once you are sure it is capable of starting running, take it to the water. Leave it full strapped to the trailer, front and rear. Back it into the water until the jet pump is submerged. Now you can run it as long as you like, with the seat off if desired. Apply throttle, check for water leaks, etc.

Once you are sure it is all good, launch it normally and do a test ride. Tets riding is not like regular riding. Test ride means you frequently stop and check under the seat. Hand check the engine temperatures, look for water, smoke, etc. Monitor the display, engine sounds, hull performance, steering, throttle response, etc.

There is a process for engine break-in. The entire engine break-in requires being in the water with a load on the jet pump, none of it can happen on land.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post

Not on Polaris.

+1
    Also depend on what brand of oil you have in the ski, some tend to emit more smoke than others.

Thanks for all the responses. Hopefully we can get it in the water this weekend and give her a run!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post

Not on Polaris.
    I'm a really a yamaha guy, that's our rule to go by. Dont want to go off topic but What should I be doing after a ride on my virage? Usually I flush the engine for 4 mins the spray down the tunnel and coat the engine in either wd-40 or yamaha silicone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information