Question Advice for troubleshooting 02 GTX ltd - runs rough

Hi

my 02 4tec was operating great a couple weeks ago. Was really playing hard, donuts, sharp turns - fun stuff - lots of water coming up over console etc. However console / gauge cluster got fried with water in it. A used one is on the way. At the same time or shortly after I noticed the console was dead the ski was running a little rougher. Not as much power. I was thinking I was wrong (hoping) but it was almost as if it wasn't firing on all cylinders. I think it runs rougher - i think i am maybe hear rattling but its definitely different.

I took it out of the water and changed all the plugs. I'm still needing the gauge cluster to go back in. I put it back in the water expecting it to be good as new (without the gauge/cluster) but it still sucks. Fires up. But throttle response is non existent. Full throttle doesn't seem like a good idea as it seems to be whining and not pushing out the water.

Without the cluster I have no feedback - is it in some form of limp / disabled mode?

I'm thinking I should pull the plugs and make sure they are firing (being used) as well. It was my first time changing the plugs.

I am in a weedy area but always carefull. I checked the intake area and it was clean from the bottom when i had it out of the water. I let my friend use it after the. Gauge cluster was done and he told me it was off as well. I know he was going WOT in this limp state as he doesn't know any better (I'm the idiot for letting him).

so - any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by F6noob View Post
    Hi

my 02 4tec was operating great a couple weeks ago. Was really playing hard, donuts, sharp turns - fun stuff - lots of water coming up over console etc. However console / gauge cluster got fried with water in it. A used one is on the way. At the same time or shortly after I noticed the console was dead the ski was running a little rougher. Not as much power. I was thinking I was wrong (hoping) but it was almost as if it wasn't firing on all cylinders. I think it runs rougher - i think i am maybe hear rattling but its definitely different.

I took it out of the water and changed all the plugs. I'm still needing the gauge cluster to go back in. I put it back in the water expecting it to be good as new (without the gauge/cluster) but it still sucks. Fires up. But throttle response is non existent. Full throttle doesn't seem like a good idea as it seems to be whining and not pushing out the water.

Without the cluster I have no feedback - is it in some form of limp / disabled mode?

I'm thinking I should pull the plugs and make sure they are firing (being used) as well. It was my first time changing the plugs.

I am in a weedy area but always carefull. I checked the intake area and it was clean from the bottom when i had it out of the water. I let my friend use it after the. Gauge cluster was done and he told me it was off as well. I know he was going WOT in this limp state as he doesn't know any better (I'm the idiot for letting him).

so - any tips?
    so i looked at the plugs and they are all being used.

Machine revs just fine but just seems to not have the thrust it did, and it seems noisier. A higher whine as if sucking in air.

It idles fine as well and puttering around its good.

im thinking that maybe I damaged the wear ring and not getting back pressure as maybe I sucked in weeds (or my buddy did) and that may be the loss of power. I don't have a reference for a bad wear ring feeling.

I'm installing the gauge cluster and going to swap plugs one more time tomorrow to see.

Any other reasons for loss of power and what I can look for myself?

thx

Thread Information