+1

Should I buy this craigslist ski? 01 Yamaha 1200 XLT

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...022465652.html

Talked to owner. He put some performance stuff on it, sold it a few years back, found it on eBay blown up, bought it and rebuilt it again. Current displacement is about 1250cc.

I had a 98 Seadoo GTX LTD with a Group K head that had a great hole shot. Would like to get something similar to that amazing acceleration. We have 7 marinas worth of bay cruisers that drive by all weekend. I think the XLT would be better in chop than the GPR.

Thanks for the help.

+1
    The hull looks to be in descent shape from limited pictures. The engine appears to be a rebuild using a lot of sbt parts, including the cylinders which are sleeved when they come from sbt. did the guy buy a new engine from them or did he buy their parts and put it together. when you are talking an older model jet ski, I think it's a good idea to get a repair manual, have some good basic tools, and be mechanically inclined. If not, you will be spending a good chunk of change in parts and labor. The two stroke engines are not too difficult to work on once you get the hang of it, and are patient in the process. I don't think I would want to go out on the water for any length of time without going through the jet ski first, and making sure everything is in good working order.When rebuilding these things, it must be done correctly and the carbs must be functioning properly or you will have an engine breakdown. michael

+1
    Looks like a nice ski to me. ya there is a few sbt parts but it should be alright. looks like it was well cared for.

+1
    The "idea" of substituting the XLT for a GTX is a good one. The XLT juiced up like this one would make the GTX feel like a toy. It should have as good a hole shot as the GTX and ride better in rough water with a much better top speed. I really doubt that 70 is a realistic number though. It is going to ride heavier (because it is) and perhaps a bit wetter then the GTX. To compensate for that, I would suggest haveing a 5 degree nozzle installed. It will make the hull feel smaller and livelier like the GTX.

I am really not a fan of SBT motors. That being said the way this boat is set up plays well into what you are looking for.

As lawyerboy recommends, exercise due dilligence. Just because all of the right components are installed, doesn't mean that they are functioning properly. Check compression and make sure each cylinder is within 10 psig of each other, check carburetor jetting specs: (you should have 110 lows, 120 highs, a 1.5 needle and seat with about 42-43 pop off pressure.

It goes without saying that you should test ride it.

5. +1 by:

+1
    The engine is made from good parts. It is not an SBT complete engine.

Hi Bible Fan,

Love the Word! I would check on who, how (mikuni or not), and when the carbs were rebuilt. I would also make sure the cat has been removed, and the chip installed. The same would go with the wave eater clips for the power valves. I also like running these pre-mix, but if not make sure all the fuel/oil lines are secured with good clamps. I have one, love it, but please keep in mind the 1200 engine must be set up right or look out! Although it is much work, I would recommend pressure testing the engine as well.

Thread Information