2001 kaw 1100 zxi keeps burning up the front piston

I have customer with a 2001 zxi 1100. His original motor did it. Then the sbt motor I installed did the same thing in less than an hour of use, but is out of warranty because it sat for a year. Pulled the motor and then put the exhaust back on and hooked it to the hose with the head off to see if water was coming up around all 3 cylinders. Checked the front cover and it wasn't plugged either. If anyone has dealt with this before I'd be intrigued to hear what solutions you've come up with! Also, the oil pump is working fine to all 3 cylinders. Thanks for your help!
    Jason

+1
    Is it a lean condition?
    Check the carbs!

3. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    If memory serves, the zxi has balanced cv carbs (an interconnection beteen the outside carbs.)

failing that quickly means either the customer ran it flat out right after delivery, or the plugs were not checked if you did the break in.

I break all my engines in for an hour in the water tank..and to a quick plug chop at the very end to check for leanness.

Might have been a case leak too, you need to pressure test this engine after repairing the damage and do a couple of plug shops.

if indeed cv carbs, check that the slides are actually moving. I've had those tom thumb sized needle clips break and cuase a lean condition (big clue there is no midrange at all)

Thanks Pete and okla. They are cv carbs. I don't have a tank to break them in. I run them on the hose for 10-15 minutes to make sure the idle is set right and the carbs are synced. Then run down to the lake for another half hour or so and do plug runs. I drilled and tapped a hole in the front reed housing and added a fitting to run another pulse line to the front carb and add a fuel pump to it.

+1
    engine cooling is not optimal on a hose nor does the driveline bearings, I recall the front cylinders don't get enough water..this could well start your problem. run with pump in water only. before I got my tank, I did breakin on the water..not a bad way to spend a sunday. I just beach hopped from one end of the lake to the other stopping every 20 minutes or so for a cool down. I cannot afford that kind of time now, so in the tank they go

When I put it on the hose with the head off after I'd pulled the motor, water came up simultaneously to all 3 cylinders. Now, I dunno if it's flowing right with the head on. There's no restriction above the front dome, made sure of that! I'm gonna add a fuel pump to the front carb and go from there. I'm gonna make sure that I break it in this time. Even if it takes a whole Sunday and 2 tanks of fuel. I'll let you guys know what I come up with after I get her back together.

+1
    check the plugs often. you can lean seize an engine pretty darn quick. I'd suggest a point and click temp gun they have gotten really cheap in the last couple of years.. this way you can read the actual temperature of various parts of the engine to judge if it's overheating or not.

I'd be checking that oil line and nozzle for the suspect jug too

Thread Information