Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Got my carbs back from Jim, but

The damage was already done. Jim said the carbs were pretty nasty. Lots of rust and corrosion. Bolted everything on fired it up then went for a water test. Something was not right rpms were a little low and it was sputtering a bit, still hard to start(harder then a smoker usually is). Pulled the plugs on the water oh boy. I guess the few hours I put on the ski before getting carbs done was a bad idea. Can't really tell in the picks but it is clear in person that it ran lean on all 3. 118/112/98psi 1-3

Will Add picks in a min can't drag em with this pad for one reason.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	312041

Views:	51 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	312042

Views:	57 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	312043
    Last edited by Echo; 08-30-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Pics

+1
    The piston in that pic is stamped 25 I missed it earlier. That would mean that some one as bored it out previously I presume? It doesn't fit in in the other two jugs. Now I am thinking I am going to drop sbt in this and star over, not knowing what the previous history is on this motor. And ya I am aware that sbt is not liked by some, but they are located only 10 mins from me and this SUV will be used by my wife to puttz around on and haul our camping/island gear.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    look around and maybe make a WTB post and see if you can find a cyl without doing the sbt thing.
    heck get a .50 over piston, have a shop bore it and save the cash and ..

+1
    Ya I been considering the options all day. But not knowing why it blew in the first first place leaves me wary. I didn't do a leak down test before tearing into it cause I figured it was just a carb issue. After pulling the motor today tho I suspect case seals. Looks really nasty where the 2 sections come together. If this was a preformance ski I would hesitate on the sbt exchange, but like I said this one is a pig and should never get abused. Plus I don't like how my head looks. At this point to do it right means splitting the case would do crank at that point since this a new to me ski....... Doing it right myself+shop work I am looking at about 1k+all the time I would have in it. Another couple hundred and about 6 hours less work and I get a 2 year warranty. By the end of that the twins will be older and the wife will be ready for something a little sportier anyway.

+1
    Oh and I was going to make a wtb thread last night for a head. I think I need more post first tho.

+1
    I have a head... actually a couple, and a Protec ported cylinder that needs bored/pistons

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Oh and I was going to make a wtb thread last night for a head. I think I need more post first tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I have a head... actually a couple, and a Protec ported cylinder that needs bored/pistons
    There ya go money spent with Rich (wfo) will be money Well spent -
    75% of the time its the carbs that kill the motor - Remember gas is not just a propellent it is also a coolent for the pistons and cyl..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    There ya go money spent with Rich (wfo) will be money Well spent -
    75% of the time its the carbs that kill the motor - Remember gas is not just a propellent it is also a coolent for the pistons and cyl..

Thanks!

While it is true about the carbs, the last 3 65Us Ive have in the shop have had the rear crank seals blow right out of the cases, leaning out the #3

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    hello John, Looks like a crank might of went out. there is some big pounding on the dome of the head like something came apart maybe needle bearings. Also like Rich said have seen many rear seals blow out and lean out #3

+1
    Thanks guys. Been talking with Jim in Pm's and I am sure I need more than just a head and cylinders now. Decision is made to rebuild/replace this one all together. Pretty sure case was leaking prob a bad crank/rod bearing in there some where and there was a lot of oil under the stator cover indicating front seal too. Would rather just do it all now and know what I have. This is my wife's ski so taking short cuts and risking her stranded somewhere is not something I want to do. Not to mention any money put in the top would be wasted if the bottom goes.

I am sure I will be looking for parts soon enough tho and taking you all up on all your suggestions..... Well on a 1300 that is. Will get this SUV back togather this week then start looking for my toy. I got hers first so I can get more wiggle room on mine. At 4k total for hers now. That is good IMHO. We agreed to only 3k each for our toys, but now she will not be mad if I end over that in mine. ( and I prob will knowing me)

....so where are all the 1300's at. Been passively searching for a couple weeks now and not a lot out there that I have seen. Still got a couple months of season left down here so will prob hold out for a bit and try to get a deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information