Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Most Mods While Retaining Warranty

I apologize if this may seem redundant. I tried searching, really. Just picked up a 2013 FX SHO & looking for the most mods while trying to keep my extended YES warranty.

Figure I would be good with any intake, IC, BOV or exhaust parts. Guess the bigger items would be an R3, or low boost wheel. Don't know if those 2 items would be the real deal breakers. My servicing dealer will be RIVA, not sure if they are more mod friendly or not. I just ordered my intake grate, ppk, and manifold sleeve to get started.

I am hoping to keep this ski mild & reliable, with a good holeshot & high 70's. If those mods automatically void the warranty I will have to weigh the benefits before pulling the trigger. Just hate to throw away the 3 years that came with the ski for free.

Thanks for any input,
    Wayne

+1
    Any part that can easily be swapped back if you have an issue is my guess.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WP3223 View Post
    I apologize if this may seem redundant. I tried searching, really. Just picked up a 2013 FX SHO & looking for the most mods while trying to keep my extended YES warranty.

Figure I would be good with any intake, IC, BOV or exhaust parts. Guess the bigger items would be an R3, or low boost wheel. Don't know if those 2 items would be the real deal breakers. My servicing dealer will be RIVA, not sure if they are more mod friendly or not. I just ordered my intake grate, ppk, and manifold sleeve to get started.

I am hoping to keep this ski mild & reliable, with a good holeshot & high 70's. If those mods automatically void the warranty I will have to weigh the benefits before pulling the trigger. Just hate to throw away the 3 years that came with the ski for free.

Thanks for any input,
    Wayne
    Hello Wayne to get to high 70 mph. range a few mod wont do it, it will definitely void your warranty unless you know someone at the dealership.
    Also on that hull getting the stock ride plate modded and adding Leo's wedge is good for 3 plus mph. and still retains the awesome handling. And that does not void the warranty at all.

+1
    Thanks for the good word Jim. You are actually the guy I was planning on contacting about the plate options/mods for the 2012+ FX & I have the wedge on my short list, always liked the extra nose up attitude from my gpr days. Not totally hung up on high 70's, just a good holeshot & some extra acceleration from stock. Guess this thread will help me to draw the line as the whether I will hang up the warranty sooner or later.

The plan is to keep this one mild, while saving up for a 14' SVHO FZ in the spring. Figure that will be a better platform for a high boost/speed setup. I have been a 2 stroke guy for ages & this is my first 4 stroke, so I'm sure there is going to be a learning curve. But thanks to having you & all of the other great guys here on the Yamaha side, I am looking forward to playing in the big kids pond now.

I will contact you next month once there is some coin in my pocket again, to discuss my best further options.

+1
    Last edited by WP3223; 08-31-2013 at 07:01 AM. Reason: double post

+1

Thanks for any input,
    Wayne
    Don't touch the ecu...if anything happens to the engine (not the clutch)...Riva will look at the "run file" or hr log and look at rpms. They will know if you swapped ecus.

+1
    The truth is that ANY modification of the ski that Yamaha designed, manufactured, sold and warrantied is grounds for denial of any warranty claim. Why? The Waverunner is a SYSTEM of complicated parts working on complex principles of fluid dynamics at high speeds. It is not individual parts working individually in a vacuum. Changing parts changes the "system" in ways that are not always obvious and almost always degrade safety margins in the original design.

Modifying the ski in any way makes you the proud owner of an expensive, "experimental" ski with no warranty and unknown performance and handling. The history of test-pilots is full of hits and dramatic misses. This is a fairly large bet on your part with your money and life on the line considering that water is non-compressible and unforgiving at speeds far below those that even stock skis reach.

I am an avid modifier of various motorized fun vehicles but you had better have deep pockets, a good insurance policy, and good health care before venturing too far. I am old enough to know what i am talking about here and have seen with my own eyes the consequences of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. Good luck.

+1
    I am aware of having to "pay to play" once you modify past a certain point. I am not looking to ever pull anything shady with the dealer if my mods cause an issue. Just trying to find where the fine line is with Yamaha. I have been modding vehicles for years - But only since manufacturers have been offering the extended warranties more recently has there become a question about voiding my warranty to "play".

I have a 2010 F-250 with 6.4 that I have tuned, deleted, bigger turbos, etc. Doing so pretty much ended my 100k warranty. Will I eat the bill if I blow the HG or trans - yes. Is it worth it for the performance & economy gains - HELL YEAH

Thank you to Yamahmiamiski for answering a big part of my question. So no R3 without voiding. If I did not get the free extra 2 years of YES with the deal, if would not be losing sleep over throwing away the original 1 year. Looks like ultimately I will just have work with Jim to see how much we can squeeze out of it while being legit. And then I will decide whether I'm willing to go to the next level & foot the bill for any repairs beyond that point.

+1

Thanks for any input,
    Wayne
    Hello Wayne,
    In most cases, basic things like intake grates and ride plates aren't going to void your warranty. Some types of mods however can be a problem. If in doubt about various mods, just find a mod-friendly dealer and let them do your mods; a good service team will advise you on the things to avoid and save you some headaches. For example, a few years ago anyone who read this forum knew it was obvious Sea-Doo had sold consumers a BIG potential problem with ceramic washers on their clutch. Dealers weren't cleaning out the failed washers properly and people were losing oil pumps and engines left and right, which in some cases took months to get replaced due to parts supply problems.

We wanted to replace them with metal washers; we had one dealer who told us any mods would void our warranty, but I went to another dealer in the same town who said they highly recommended replacing them (to avoid the time and hassle of major engine damage) and as long as they did the work they had no problem standing behind their work, and they had a great relationship with the manufacturer. So we got BRP's "time bomb" ceramics out of there and even though we had some major warranty claims later, we never had a problem with our warranty because of those washers. So in my experience you can make some types of mods to your skis and keep your warranty, it just depends on the dealer you do business with.

Quote Originally Posted by yamahamiamiski View Post

Thanks for any input,
    Wayne
    Don't touch the ecu...if anything happens to the engine (not the clutch)...Riva will look at the "run file" or hr log and look at rpms. They will know if you swapped ecus.
    where is this info stored?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information