2007 250x Firing issue.

First post here. Just bought this ski and used it once or twice already has about 110 hours with a good service history (bought it from the neighbors who owned since new).Yesterday took a long trip from Sea Isle City, NJ to Seacrets in Ocean City, MD. Ski ran normal all the way down which is somewhere around 60 miles and we crusied at about 25-30mph with occasional bursts in between. Had to stop for gas halfway and in Maryland (used premium each fill up). As we were pulling up to Seacrets it starting getting a miss. I narrowed it down to the front cylinder. When we left to come back, the miss was there at idle to about 4500rpms where the ski would run fine. The ride home in the ocean was tough because I tried to keep it above 4500 to avoid the miss and where it would run normal. The front cylinder stopped firing all together about 20 miles from home. I had to try to ride it the rest of the way in it would't have been safe trying to two that thing in the ocean near the deleware bay because the conditions turned bad.

So got home and found this. Front cylinder is sparking, I don't have a compression tester with me so I was only able to put my hand over the hole which seems to have comparable pressure to the other cylinders which is good. I took the spark plug front one of the cylinders that was firing and switched it with the front cylinder and still nothing.

Whats next? Injector clogged? Electrical? The miss seemed pretty consistent at the point where it would come and go so I don't think yet that it is something something internal in the motor.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Spark plugs is alway 1st place to start

Banned User
    +1
    If you switched plugs and your not seeing a spark when grounded to the head then ether coil or plug wire. Buy 4 new plugs and check plug wires try swapping the bad one with a good one.

+1
    Hope that fuel was clean.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    If you switched plugs and your not seeing a spark when grounded to the head then ether coil or plug wire. Buy 4 new plugs and check plug wires try swapping the bad one with a good one.
    But remember that a plug that shows a spark outside the engine ....... can still fail when re installed into a running engine.

Waz

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    But remember that a plug that shows a spark outside the engine ....... can still fail when re installed into a running engine.

Waz
    Absolutely agree that's why I said to get new plugs anyways as you mentioned. He just said he was getting zero spark. That's all.

Thanks for the input, I figured it out. The first injector was not firing. One of the wires going to the first injector had a corroded spot in it right next to where it plugs into the injector. Fixed it and it runs fine now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AntD View Post
    Thanks for the input, I figured it out. The first injector was not firing. One of the wires going to the first injector had a corroded spot in it right next to where it plugs into the injector. Fixed it and it runs fine now.
    That's great and pretty good diagnosis flow you did imho. How did you know it was #4 not firing when you were on your trip?

So another area where salt can eat into things? For the pros, you frequent posters, is this a common corrosion point?

+1
    shouldnt have any corrosion full stop so i would say no!! salt shouldnt eat into anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dmk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AntD View Post
    That's great and pretty good diagnosis flow you did imho. How did you know it was #4 not firing when you were on your trip?

So another area where salt can eat into things? For the pros, you frequent posters, is this a common corrosion point?
    It's fairly easy to figure out. It's probably not safe, but with the seat off I tried pulling the spark plug caps off one at a time and you can find out pretty quickly which one was not firing. I switched the plug from another cylinder that was firing and if it was the plug I should have noticed a change, but had nothing. So I eliminated ignition, compression, and air from the mix so the only other spot to go to was fuel. I pulled of the injector rail with the injectors on it, cranked it over a few times and the first one didn't shoot anything. Tried switching the injector with another one that was working to make sure it wasn't the injector that was bad so that led to the electric going to the injector next. Traced it back and found a spot in the wire that had corroded through.

Dunno how it did it, the ski had never been tampered with. Maybe it was just a bad spot or pin hole in the wire from the factory that made it do that. Who knows, but it runs fine now.

Thread Information