HELP!!! 2004 polaris virage speedometer not working

I am new to the pwc world and am in need of some assistance. I just purchased a 2004 Polaris Virage. I noticed that the speedometer is not working, it just reads 0 mph on the digital dash. Everything else on the digital dash works. Any assistance with my question would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

See my signature links for useful and related info.

The speedometer has a pitot fin below the hull just inside the jet pump intake grate. Inside the hull there is a small plastic nipple directly under the drive shaft. From that nipple a clear plastic hose runs up to the rear of the MFI display.

In order for the speedometer to work that hose must not be clogged, kinked, crushed or disconnected. Use an inspection mirror to see under the driveshaft.

Sometimes the small hole in the pitot itself gets clogged or covered with weeds. Inspect the white plastic fin. Do not stick anything into the small hole. If it is plugged, disconnect the hose from behind the speedometer and apply a modest amount of water pressure to the hose end. That should flush out the hose and pitot.

Please note there are some maintenance items that you should attend to before you start riding your new-to-you watercraft. See my signature links for more info.

Thanks for the help K447.....I did what you suggested and found that the pitot hole was plugged. I was able to force some of the blockage from the pin hole but I am still unable to get the speedometer to work. How much work is it to replace the pitot (white fin)? Thanks again for your help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by twoslow View Post
    Thanks for the help K447.....I did what you suggested and found that the pitot hole was plugged. I was able to force some of the blockage from the pin hole but I am still unable to get the speedometer to work. How much work is it to replace the pitot (white fin)? Thanks again for your help.
    The pitot is retained by a single plastic nut on the inside of the hull. There is a rubber gasket that seals the underside of the hull to the pitot flange.

If you replace the pitot, replace the gasket at the same time.

You can find the part numbers via the Polaris Industries Parts web site, see the link from my signature.

Perhaps if you carefully remove the old pitot from the hull you can flush the clog out. The only caveat is to not enlarge the hole in the front edge of the pitot fin. Changing the hole size might affect the water pressure that feeds into the pitot and alter the calibration of the speedometer reading.

Thread Information