Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Locked up jet drive

While out riding the ski this afternoon the jet drive locked up, the bearings were sounding chunky then just locked up while I tried to limp it back to the dock, it locked up while I was going very slow so hopefully it didn't cause much damage. I am going to pull the jet drive tomorrow, any suggestions to what to look for?

+1
    didn't u have problems b4 and we said to rebuild the jet drive b4 u go back out ? lol

send it to impellerpros.com get the impeller refinished, the wear ring checked and the pump rebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by 1999-SLTX View Post
    didn't u have problems b4 and we said to rebuild the jet drive b4 u go back out ? lol

send it to impellerpros.com get the impeller refinished, the wear ring checked and the pump rebuilt
    You must have me confused with someone else, I went so far as to post a video of the ski running and was told it sounds normal. This is my first ski so I had no idea if that sound was normal or not. I understand it is hard to diagnose from a video if a bearing is bad or not, my hunch was correct now I gotta fix it.

I have pulled the jet drive and have my work cut out for me, the jet drive housing will not come apart, and one of the long bolts broke so I will have to extract that and get a new one. I have the drive housing soaking in dawn soap in a bucket to see if that will help, I was banging on it with a rubber mallet in between letting it soak and it will not budge, I am a little nervous on using a chisel to get that thing apart but I guess that will be next.

As you mentioned I have to check the wear ring, do you know if I could leave the impeller shaft on and send that whole unit to impellerpros and have them remove it saving me from having to buy that special removal tool? I will need to buy a new impeller shaft as this one is toast.
    Last edited by mellow; 09-03-2013 at 11:18 AM.

The splines look OK to me on the drive shaft that goes into the impeller but wanted to have a second opinion if possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130902_014.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	312416

I have attached the pictures of the inside of the jet drive and the impeller shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130902_005.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	312414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130902_006.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	312415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130902_015.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	312417  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sorry to hear about the failure. Looking at the extent of the corrosion and the bearing damage, I suspect even if you had taken it apart right away the repair effort would be similar.

As you now know, you often cannot tell until you actually remove the jet pump and do a proper inspection.

If you can find for reasonable money a decent condition six vane SS stator, extension, and possibly impeller (basically a whole used jet pump), that might be an easier route than attacking and repairing the old parts.

Thanks for the advise, I have been going through your how to on removing/reinstalling the jet drive. Any idea how much I would be looking at for a SS six vane stator? Not found one yet but I was looking at direct replacement parts.

+1

I just picked up a 94 slt 750, the jet drive looks shorter, should I be able to coble it together with mine?

This was a deal I couldn't refuse, $75. Hope I can use the jet drive parts from this. Should the stator and impeller and wear ring swap between the two?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	750slt.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	312492

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information