Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2005 Ultra 150l 77 hours, turns over then stops....turns over then stops...

and then battery starts to smoke, positive terminal gets real hot... I let it cool down, pull the plugs out, and crank it over... It spits a beige/tan oil out of each cylinder...As soon as I put the plugs back in, it will only cranks for a few seconds, then stops, battery smokes a bit.. Let the battery cool off for 5 mins, it cranks again, then stops...

The milky beige/tan oil coming out the spark plug hole seems to me like the engine is shot, no?

Thanks guys for your advice..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by screamindemon View Post
    and then battery starts to smoke, positive terminal gets real hot... I let it cool down, pull the plugs out, and crank it over... It spits a beige/tan oil out of each cylinder...As soon as I put the plugs back in, it will only cranks for a few seconds, then stops, battery smokes a bit.. Let the battery cool off for 5 mins, it cranks again, then stops...

The milky beige/tan oil coming out the spark plug hole seems to me like the engine is shot, no?

Need more info. Did the engine ingest water and then get left to sit that way. Need to do a compression test if possible.

it's possible... should I continue to crank it over w/out the plugs in it and see if it clears up any?

+1
    You don't know if it got water in the engine?

A hot battery is a sign of overload, meaning that the starter isn't turning. Could be the starter, the engine being seized, the impeller being seized, etc.

How much oil came out? Brown 'oil' is usually a bad sign.

judging by the beige colored gas/oil mixture shooting out of it when I crank it over, water must have got in there... This milky beige oil/gas/water mix is splashing out of every cylinder, not just one or two... Without the spark plugs in, it will crank over very fast and won't stop until I let go of the start button... It is blowing the beige gas/oil/water all over the place, so compression seems decent but needs to be checked... When I put the plugs back in, it cranks over for a few seconds and stops, battery gets hot and releases a little smoke off the positive terminal... It's now beginning to crank a bit longer before stopping, so I'm guessing that's b/c I released some of the gas/oil/water mixture already... I'm tempted to just keep doing this until it clears up....Thoughts????

+1
    "Thoughts????"
    If the engine has been sitting with water in it for so long no one even remembers when it ingested it, then the crankshaft along with other parts are rusted. The motor will grenade when you finally get it cranked and rev it.

probably...any other options?

+1
    Unfortunately no. If the water has been in there for days or more, it's totally had it. You are actually lucky that it didn't crank up so you could rev it cuz' much more damage would have occurred, much much more. The good news is since it didn't get damaged even more by it being started and revved up, is that the motor is most likely re-buildable.
    It's a 2005 and if in good shape otherwise, then it's probably worth rebuilding the motor, but that's up to you.

You might want to let folks know where you're located, (city, state), it's possible that another forum member might live close enough to help you with this.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by screamindemon View Post

doesn't sound good..as stated above.

we need a full history on the origin of this ski, but your primary job till them is to crank that engine get as much of the water out of it as possible as quickly as possible. There is plenty still in there and the engine is hydrolocking each time you crank it. if you are smoking the battery, you are really punishing the starter and the engine. Likely too late by now, but you gotta start somewhere

Don't turn it over anymore, take it out and pull her apart. You do not wanna damage those cases or possibly a cylinder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information