1100 ZXI has no spark to any of the cylanders

My son was out riding today and having a great time when he caught a wake and jumped it. He came down a bit hard and suddenly the ZXI just died and he had to be towed back in.
    We are definitely getting gas but we're not getting any spark whatsoever.
    I'm handy but this one has me baffled. I checked the fuses and they are fine, but replaced them anyway.
    I've read a few dozen posts but I'm really lost.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wascapsfan View Post
    My son was out riding today and having a great time when he caught a wake and jumped it. He came down a bit hard and suddenly the ZXI just died and he had to be towed back in.
    I'm handy but this one has me baffled. I checked the fuses and they are fine, but replaced them anyway.
    Thanks in advance

Start at the begining,Test your Stator,If thats good check and make sure your key didnt sheer off,check all your grounds,test the coils.Check the e-box connections out,Those white plastic nubs that seal the box like to crack and allow moisture in.over time they get brittle and corrode,the landing may have been the final straw for one of the conections.

With what you decribed its sounds like when the ski landed it a connection broke or like i said maybe the key sheered off.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    Thanks in advance

Start at the begining,Test your Stator,If thats good check and make sure your key didnt sheer off,check all your grounds,test the coils.Check the e-box connections out,Those white plastic nubs that seal the box like to crack and allow moisture in.over time they get brittle and corrode,the landing may have been the final straw for one of the conections.

With what you decribed its sounds like when the ski landed it a connection broke or like i said maybe the key sheered off.
    Thank you Gary!
    I'm doing a search of how to find and test the stator. So far I found that the purple wire - Red wire is supposed to be 348-523 ohms and the yellow to back wire is supposed to be 22-32 ohms. Since I'm new to the PWC world, I'm still learning my way around the ski. I was also thinking that perhaps it might be a good idea to take the cover off the e-box and take a look inside since the bolts are all accessible without having to pull the engine.

ok. A little update.
    I opened the ebox and noticed some corrosion but not too bad although the regulator was a bit corroded on the outside, but the pins seemed fine.
    I had everything functioning before I opened the box, but now I have no starting and no dash lights. All I did was open all of the internal plugs, spray them with PB Blaster and close them back up. and I cleaned off the regulator, but NOTHING else.
    This is a PITA.
    Here are a bunch of pictures if anyone wants to chime in.
    How do I test the stator???? I have a digital test meter with ohms.
    I'm almost wondering if I should cut ALL of these internal plugs off and solder the leads together and shrink wrap them.
    The plugs may not be the problem, but they aren't helping since I no longer have lights and now cannot even crank the engine.

Update. Must've been a bad connection as I unplugged everything and replugged and now I have lights and can crank the engine again. Still no spark though!

Last edited by wascapsfan; 09-01-2013 at 05:10 PM.

+1
    The plug-in connectors leave a lot to be desired, but don't remove them and solder the wires. You'll just make your life miserable the next time you have to pull the engine.

Don't forget to check out the kill switch.
    Last edited by steve45; 09-03-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Can a bad regulator stop the plugs from getting spark???

All my ohms are within specs EXCEPT from the regulator. They are VERY low in regards to what it is supposed to have in resistance.

+1
    Can a bad regulator stop the plugs from getting spark???

All my ohms are within specs EXCEPT from the regulator. They are VERY low in regards to what it is supposed to have in resistance.
    Not that i know of,The regulator controls the amount of voltage,so i doubt thats your problem.Once the ski gets running you can test the regulator by hooking a volt meter to your batt and reading the voltage.If its to low then worry about it.The ohms test is a static test and isnt the beat all to end all tests.The voltage test running with a meter is a dynamic test and is much more real.

Did you pull the flywheel and check the woodruf key?Rule out everything you can with testing.If all tests good and no broken woodruf key ect.its possible the ECU took one to many heavy shocks ie wave landings and has gone on you.

Check all the grounds very good.Make sure they are tight and clean.

Check to see that the 16ga Black wire did not break at the negative post on the Battery. The ground wire on my '96 ZXI 1100 had broke at the battery and I had no instrument lights and no spark. Everything else worked.

Thread Information