Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

2012 RXPX - Stage 4 - First Ride

So what started off just going to be a few light mods, fuel pump/regulator/Athena ecu/Gen3 IC/impeller kind of got out of control. I was having issues with the fitment of the impeller and ended up basically gutting my boat to check the alignment. It was way off. 2 shims added to the back, 1 shim removed from the front and the whole engine had to go forward about 3/8ths. Quick, big thanks to Riva, they went way beyond trying to help me trouble shoot my impeller issues. Anyways I figured I had everything out...I may well go right to the stage 4 instead of piece meal things together knowing that was my ultimate goal...for now Fast forward to today. Finally got everything buttoned up, installed the newest firmware and stage 4 map. Went to hit start button and the damn thing cranked right up and idled. Dialed my fuel pressure in to the recommend 58lbs hooked up the hose and let it run for about a minute. Shut off and checked all my clamps etc. All good right? I go down the street and drop it in the water and start idling around for a few minutes till I get up to about 165F. Everything is looking good/feeling good. Engine/drive train sounds real smooth now that it's aligned. I start to slowly get up on plane and it shuts off . Now I'm floating with the current and wind away from starting point. I have a paddle but no way I can buck that combination of elements. I started looking at everything and nothing loose. I couldn't hear the fuel pump come on and no pressure reading on the gauge. I start checking some fuses but it was kind of rough so I had to stop and look for help. I'm thinking great...fuel pump died. So now I'm standing in waste deep water trying to pull my ski against the current and the wind to get as close as I can to the shore and hopefully try to flag someone down. It gets better...I got towed in by a brand new Yamaha. The guy had it two weeks and was new to the area. Talk about making friends in a hurry. Anyways after getting home and pulling the pump hooking it to a battery...it was fine. What a PIA. So I guess I should've checked the fuel pump fuse first. It's a 10amp and it was shorted. I toss a 15amp in and sure enough, cranks right up. So I guess my question is...is a 10amp fuse not enough for the load created by the Riva high fuel pump? Maybe I just had a bum fuse? Obviously anxious to get back out first thing in the AM to see how she runs.

+1
    wow nice first ride! glad it was simple!

+1
    Nice work Dino, can't wait to see some numbers.

I was scratching my head a bit with the way Riva have the relay wired in? They use the OEM power supply instead of running a new power supply to the relay direct from battery. Assuming that Riva confirmed that the OEM supply can take the draw of the bigger pump?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayers View Post
    Nice work Dino, can't wait to see some numbers.

I was scratching my head a bit with the way Riva have the relay wired in? They use the OEM power supply instead of running a new power supply to the relay direct from battery. Assuming that Riva confirmed that the OEM supply can take the draw of the bigger pump?
    Thanks! Well I guess it helps to read the instructions in full. It clearly states to replace the 10amp fuse with supplied 15amp fuse. I guess that answers that question. If that is the only mistake I made I will feel lucky. I'll be back out later today. Need to get some logs and see how things looks.

Is there a wideband feeding AFR back to the Athena?

Andy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    Is there a wideband feeding AFR back to the Athena?

Andy
    If you have the optional lambda kit (which Dino does), YES.

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry jerryspringer's Avatar
    +1
    Please share your numbers once you ve hit the water.. Can't wait too see what speeds your hitting ..

+1
    How did you figure out that the motor needed to go forward 3/8 of an inch??? Would the pump not go all the way in/on??? How did you move the motor that far?? Did you relocate the motor mounts???

I understand the side to side movements and the adding of shims, but NEVER heard of anyone moving an engine forward for any reason other than custom build and weight displacement or relocation.

+1
    sounds like the older gti cc build mount displacement..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    How did you figure out that the motor needed to go forward 3/8 of an inch??? Would the pump not go all the way in/on??? How did you move the motor that far?? Did you relocate the motor mounts???

I understand the side to side movements and the adding of shims, but NEVER heard of anyone moving an engine forward for any reason other than custom build and weight displacement or relocation.
    loosen the motor mounts. There is about 3/8th or so slop in the hole. I did it by the book as well as had an X seadoo mech helping me verify the settings. My motor was basically as back far as it could be. Looked like from the factor that way as you can see the marks from the washer on motor mount mounting plate. Didn't look like it slid. Think I have a pic but about to hit the water.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information