How much heat for the exhaust section before the muffler?

Hey guys, I have a 96 GSX that runs fine and has no water blockages anywhere. All the hoses have been pulled and checked. I had to do this because the original exhaust on this ski rotted out badly and I was lucky to have spare exhaust from another motor of the same year. Same connections, identical to mine. The pisser in the back blows a nice stream under throttle. The issue is the second stage of the exhaust that is not double walled for cooling. The piece that tapers down to the muffler. Anyway, this thing is really hot. I can't even touch it. Sizzles like bacon when I sprinkle some water on it. I can grab the head, the walls of the cylinders and the short section of exhaust that is water cooled. with no problems at all. The muffler is pretty warm, but that middle section almost blistered me. The original white paint had that burning smell and now looks light tan. Carbs have been pulled and cleaned but jets have not been changed. Oil injection delete has been done and I premix my own at 40:1. It has ran this mixture for years and I do not remember having any heat issues with the other pipe. Any ideas?

Just an update, I think the muffler is clogged with debris from the previous exhaust system, Took a wide open ride to check for lean and the exhaust connector between pipe and muffler blew out. This is the second one. Is it possible too much water is being fed into the muffler? Doesn't appear that way when I have it on the hose. I'll pull the muffler today and see what's going on.

Solved my problem, muffler didn't have any debris but I did notice how flimsy the hose after the muffler was. Looked inside and it appears it was creating a rubber balloon inside the hose. Now that also explains why a rave valve burst a few months back. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2715.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	312595

Thread Information