Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

First Problems!!!! Please Help With 2012 FX Cruiser SHO???

All right guys, right at 50 hours and I got my first problem...... Ski was 100% fine and running great. I was just out cruising around slow and went back to the pontoon anchored in the cove. Talked to the family and then idled away. Turned the steering to the left to turn around, barely gave it a little gas to turn around, and the ski all of a sudden barrel rolled hard to the right. Ski was completely on its side and I have no clue how I saved it. Weirdest thing ever. I somehow wrestled it back and blipped the throttle and got it right side up. I immediately knew something was wrong as it had never ever done this before. I tried to barely accelerate again out of an idle and it rolls hard on you and wants to barrel roll over on you.

I tied it to the pontoon, got off and checked the plugs, and felt in the intake grate, and pump and nothing in it. Did not take off seat but did not look like it took on any water when I got it home. I looked at the steering and everything is connected properly and seems to be really right and no play. I was able to get it get it up to 30 on the way back to the dock and something just was not right with the steering. Not responsive and you would turn it full lock left or right and really no steering response. However we looked at it tonight in the garage and everything looks 100% fine.

this one is stumping me and it for sure kit safe to ride. I thought maybe I felt a little hot of a vibration after this started but might be my imagination.....

+1
    And yes I have been riding for 12 years and never had any thing like this. This 100% not the idling stability problem some people complain of.....

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like you had water in your hull....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Sounds like you had water in your hull....
    Agreed! With the 2 bilge pumps on the FX (the electric bilge that's always on when the ski is running, and the siphon bilge that works on plane), any water in the hull would have cleared out on your 30mph ride back. Of course, I'm not sure how you took on that much water.

+1
    I thought the same thing about taking on water. However I looked when I got the ski home and showed no signs of any water in the hull but it very well might be. In my experience the FX hull is one of the better sealed hulls and after long rides I have never seen a drop in the hull. I have it here at the house, I am going to put some water in the hull and see if I see any water coming out the bottom.

+1
    Is your nozzle loose from the trim? Any excessive play? If not, maybe water conditions that day?

+1
    Well, I have some time today to look more at the ski. I am going to fill the hull with a couple inches of water and see if I see any water coming out the bottom. I can here the bulge pump running when I tap the start button. I believe it is working properly. I guess we will know more today after I fill it with water.

+1
    I filled the whole hull with about 3 inches of water. So far I have seen not a drop come out the bottom. I am going to let it sit for a while and see if i see any drops coming out the bottom. I tapped the start button once and the bilge came on and pumped water out the back like it is suppose to so it is working correctly. I am going to try to take it out to the lake today and idle in a no wake zone by the marina and see if I see any water coming in with the seat off....... I am sort of stumped but it very well might be fine today. There was something wrong for sure yesterday.........

+1
    Dumb idea but I would also look at the engine mounts and see it there is something up there. The engine crank rotates counterclockwise so opposing torque would allow the engine to shift to the right side of the hull if there is an engine mount issue whether they are damaged or mounting bolts are loose or missing. Something else to keep in mind.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpilot785 View Post
    Dumb idea but I would also look at the engine mounts and see it there is something up there. The engine crank rotates counterclockwise so opposing torque would allow the engine to shift to the right side of the hull if there is an engine mount issue whether they are damaged or mounting bolts are loose or missing. Something else to keep in mind.
    I did check all of those. I let the water sit in the hull for about 3 hours and not a single drop out the bottom. I then hooked the ski up to the hose and ran it for about 10 minutes to get most of the water out of the hull by the bilge pump. Everything seems to be good and tight and all hoses seem to be just fine. I think I am going to have to take it out on the lake and run it with the seat off and see if I see anything. I have had the ski for a year and up to this point I have never had even a drop of water in it. So if it is taking on water it has just started. I am still not sure if it had taken water on Saturday. It sat out in the sun for about 6 hours with the seat on before we came back in off the boat. I drove it 20 minutes home and when I pulled off the seat every bit of the inside of the hull was bone dry.....

I need to go test it on the lake again and see what it does......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information