Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Someone please help me diagnose this noise?

Hi everyone, I recently got this 92 waverunner 650 and have this odd sound, almost like a knocking. At certain rpms it evens out to almost unnoticeable but most of the time you can always hear it. It doesn't seem to effect the way it operates so I doubt its engine related but im thinking its something more by the impeller. Its really bugging me what it could be. Here is a video. Thanks for the help!

To start i would remove the jet unit so you ll be able to see if the sound is coming from engine or jet unit, it may be bearings from jet unit

+1
    Is that noise coming from the electric box?

that isnt a tapping valve is it?

+1
    It could be a galded piston slapping the sides of the cylinder wall. a ski that old that hasn't been built may just need new pistons and rings.

The "noise" almost is more of a roar then a knock it seems like. You can feel the whole ski vibrate. So thats the only reason why i was thinking pump area. I mean was was ridding it for over an hour without any problems or noise change so if it was the engine wouldn't something have went or gotten worse? I will pull the pump and see if I still have the noise. Any tips on how to do that? I did it on my 94 polaris sl750 so im guessing its pretty similar. I also thought it was the electric box at first but I recently had to replace the cdi so I opened the box up and there was no issues in there. I also do notice water coming in while the engine is running right where the engine coupler is. Its under that plastic shroud so im guessing its the through hull seal. It also leeks when the engine not running also. Thanks for the help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbizub View Post
    The "noise" almost is more of a roar then a knock it seems like. You can feel the whole ski vibrate. So thats the only reason why i was thinking pump area. I mean was was ridding it for over an hour without any problems or noise change so if it was the engine wouldn't something have went or gotten worse? I will pull the pump and see if I still have the noise. Any tips on how to do that? I did it on my 94 polaris sl750 so im guessing its pretty similar. I also thought it was the electric box at first but I recently had to replace the cdi so I opened the box up and there was no issues in there. I also do notice water coming in while the engine is running right where the engine coupler is. Its under that plastic shroud so im guessing its the through hull seal. It also leeks when the engine not running also. Thanks for the help!
    From what you are describing now it sounds like the bearing and the couplers hitting each other (metal to metal).

+1
    [QUOTE=mudslanger;2254791

From what you are describing now it sounds like the bearing and the couplers hitting each other (metal to metal).[/QUOTE]

Are saying that the dampner has disintegrated?

If that is the case, then there should be or at one time or another there were black pieces of rubber at the bottom of the hull. It would be simple to pull the shroud and check it out.

9. +1 by:

WFO

+1
    [QUOTE=salty;2254803]
    Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger;2254791

From what you are describing now it sounds like the bearing and the couplers hitting each other (metal to metal).[/QUOTE

Are saying that the dampner has disintegrated?

If that is the case, then there should be or at one time or another there were black pieces of rubber at the bottom of the hull. It would be simple to pull the shroud and check it out.
    I was trying to say the motor slid back of mid shaft moved forward causing the 2 couplers to run together. But I guess the damper could dry rot and come apart and cause vibration and noise. I just haven't seen it happen but can see how it could.

Sounds a lot like mine...I say close the hood and run it...it's not a 15k new ski...

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=87934&page=223

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information