Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    85 miles West of DFW South enterance 76462

BRP Evinrude Direct Injection 2 strokes

Does anyone know why BRP hasn't introduced 2 cycle direct gasoline injection as they have on Evinrude outboard engines? It would appear to solve the 2 cycle emissions problem and since only oil is injected into the crankcase solve lube problems too. I believe BRP is using a piezo crystal injector to develop the pressure needed to inject gas at TDC or somewhere close. Since only gasoline is injected I would imagine there is a net power gain too. Even new aircraft power plants are switching over to direct injection since idle fuel/air ratios can be as high as 40:1 using stratified injection when normal fuel systems are at their worst.

Banned User
    +1
    The FICHT injection systems used in some Polaris and Kawasaki machines was the early version of the Etecs. I have a direct injected Polaris and I love it. Its very good on gas, and much lighter than the 4 stroke pigs that even the entry level skis are. I think they would have a winner if they could put one in a GTI hull and sell it for less than the current GTI. They run great, with none of the problems of the old carbed motors.

+1
    BRP promotes the DI Johnson and Evirude engines are much better than 4 stroke and SC 4 stroke outboards. You know, more power, less weight, lower fuel costs, yet they do the exact opposite with their PWC. What is up with that? I have a 2003 XP DI that I love. I would buy another tomorrow. I have waited 10 years for Sea Doo to make another XPL model. I always thought they would replace the Orbital system with the Ficht system, but it never comes. I have no desire to buy one of the fat 4 stroke "boats". I have a boat when I want a boat, but I am out of options if I want a "ski".

Banned User
    +1
    I love my FICHT motor. Just push the button to start. No priming, no chokes, just push the button and go. Hell the Etecs are even self fogging

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoog View Post
    Does anyone know why BRP hasn't introduced 2 cycle direct gasoline injection as they have on Evinrude outboard engines? .

BRP is still trying to break even on 4-tec development most likely. A 3 jug/250HP two stroke direct injected motor would likely cut 100 pounds off a 4-tec setup with improved performance that would likely kill off the sales of the sporty 4-tecs.

Always lots of smoke on the horizon about the resurgence of two strokes from a number of companies with exciting looking concept motors.

Banned User
    +1
    I think a 175 HP 2 stroke in a GTI hull would be a huge hit!!!!

85 miles West of DFW South enterance 76462
    I just read an article on 2 stroke technology for future vehicles and the source is MIT. It would appear that auto makers would like even lighter and more powerful engines without pushing 4 cycle technology any future.

MIT's prototype use common rail injection (hi-pressure) what's really interesting is the design allows 1 or 2 cylinders and the ability to simple bolt on more as needed without any major engine mods. Now isn't that a real hoot, install extra jugs on the installment plan as your pocket permits!

I need (2) 230hp 3cylinder 2stroke motors for the yellow ones
    And a 180hp 2cylinder 2stroke for the standup.......please

Whats the hold-up......brp???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I think a 175 HP 2 stroke in a GTI hull would be a huge hit!!!!

The 215hp GTR is based on the GTI hull and everyone that has one loves it.

IMHO Seadoo need a more robust low to no maintenance type supercharger for the higher HP models.

+1
    2 strokes are banned in CA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information