Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drive shaft boot failure-help!

Ive searched and searched and evidently idk how to use the search function. My gf's 1996 xp practically sank yesterday. Water did get in the cylinders, removed plugs and cranked it then sprayed fogging spray in the cylinders. Cranked some more and let it sit over night. Anything else i need to do there?

Turns out the drive shaft boot has completely failed. From what i can find, this jet has the bearing that you can grease and not the carbon ring?? All i should need to replace is the two boots, correct? All of the parts diagrams i look at dont show the bearing, only a carbon ring. Looking for guidance as what and where to buy the boots since i have the bearing.

Thanks for any help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	312132   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	319 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	312133  

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    this is a typical Seadoo failure. The big aluminum bit with grease fitting has failed. when it locks up on the driveshaft it tears the rubber hose (which is open to the water) and the ski can go down in a minute or so.

you need to get that motor running right now. run it for a few minutes at a time on a garden hose connection to avoid heating the pump bearings.

you need this bit :

http://www.shopsbt.com/sea-1995-sp/70-101.html

and the hose. Grease it after every outing ( one shot of grease only) and you won't have future problems with it.

get on this right now. the longer water sits in bearings, the greater chance of deadly rust forming, which shortens the motor live considerably.

+1
    oh yah, if the plastic snout in the hull is damaged ( looks like it is) , you can get a metal replacement for that also. "thru hull repair fitting"

bit of a pain to install, you have to grind out the old fitting and them press in the new fitting.

Here is some details on the repair procedure:

http://www.shopsbt.com/forum/sea-doo...e-problem.html
    Last edited by nmpeter; 09-01-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added URl to problem

She started right up no problem. Its on a lift, so i was able to lower it enough so that the pump was in the water but it wasnt taking on water.

Ive taken the shaft out, had to tap tap tap the bearing off with a small hammer. How does the new bearing go on? It seams it was slightly pressed on the shaft.

Does sbt have the boots also? Its horrible trying to search for things on a phone when you dont have access to a computer.

The bearing wasnt rusted, ive greased it before but only once. Not sure why it failed.

Hopefully the shaft is ok. It has some rough places on it.

Ohh and the snout is damaged, but im hoping there is enough of a lip to get a clamp on it.

+1
    you've got multiple problem vectors right now, even with the great news on being able to run the engine with the pump in the water

the bearing holder slips onto the driveshaft, which needs to be in good condition in the area the needle bearings ride on. Needle bearings don't do well if the shaft is pitted.

The bearing seals aren't the best around..regular greasing is a must, but even then, the seals wear, water intrudes and the countdown starts.

The bearing holder should be an easy push onto the driveshaft, the hoses a bit stiff.

The hose is called a "protection" hose

give me the complete hull # of the ski and I can hook you up with the right stuff. You can also find OEm parts diagrams to order OEM seasoo parts on the top menu bar here. OEm parts are a bit more expensive, I use the aftermarket stuff and never have a problem ( the Chinese pretty much just copied the oem stuff, and their aluminum machining ability happens to be pretty good ( likely they use a US made milling machine)

need to know how badly the thru hull fitting is-looks like toast in your pics.

if you can catch a fingernail on the shiny part of the driveshaft your repair may be short lived. you can often keep it happy by greasing after each outing. Keep out of water running to a minimum. You'd' be surprised how fast these holders heat up if the engine isn't aligned or they are run out of water.

+1
    If you say that water got into the cylinders check the oil to see if its milky. if it is, you need to get that taken care fast. there are a couple of ways. do a search here.

Its a 2 stroke, so no oil. Thanks for the input though!

Ill attach some pics with the hull number. The shaft is smooth but has some wear grooves around it.

Guess i need the following, correct me if im wrong:

-pto boot
    -drive shaft boot(bearing to hull, youre calling this a hose?)
    -bearing
    -possibly new drive shaft
    -new clamps(buy local)

Thanks for the help!!

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	72 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	312152Click image for larger version. 

Views:	73 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	312153Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	312154

+1
    it's a 95!..that's why you're having problems finding the right stuff for it. The driveline seal went to carbon ring and accordion boot in 96

your thru hull is screwed. cut if flush with the hull to prep it for the replacement sleeve. I'll pm you a parts list on Tuesday (closed today and tomorrow). I might be able to salvage a drive shaft from one of my yard queens. You shaft is damaged , new aftermarket runs $150.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster04 View Post
    Its a 2 stroke, so no oil. Thanks for the input though!

Ill attach some pics with the hull number. The shaft is smooth but has some wear grooves around it.

Guess i need the following, correct me if im wrong:

-pto boot
    -drive shaft boot(bearing to hull, youre calling this a hose?)
    -bearing
    -possibly new drive shaft
    -new clamps(buy local)

Thanks for the help!!

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	72 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	312152Click image for larger version. 

Views:	73 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	312153Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	312154
    You need this too bud http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...51495398,d.b2I

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information