Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1998 Seadoo XP-L overheating

Ok guys, so I just bought this jet ski two weeks ago and since then have taken it out with no issues twice for a few hours. So two days ago I took it out for a few hours and it ran mint. Once I got close to my dock I noticed the pisser wasn't shooting water, it looked like steam. So I shut it down and opened the hull. It was a little smokey so I called it a day. So I take it home and flush it out. Everything is fine. Water comes out the pisser as it should. So the next day I go out for about 5 minutes and I see nothing coming out of the pisser just steam. So I'm not cooling in the water but I'm doing fine hooked up to a hose. I'm not really sure how this whole cooling system works as of now. Where does the water come into the ski when in the water? Any help would be well appreciated! Thanks guys

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to the hulk!

cooling water is diverted rom the jet pump output. The hose connection backflushes the cooling system

you likely have some trash in the pump, get underneath with a good flashlight and have a look up the grate. Even a little bit of tow rope wrapped around the driveshaft can disrupt water flow enough to cause a problem.

Smoke inside the hull is not acceptable. Check the bolt on the big clamp around the exhaust pipe to be sure it's tight

feel all the exhaust hoses for soft spots or oily gunk ( which indicates a possible leak)

Thanks for the reply, nice to be on a forum with some good solid info fast. I also notice a large crack in the jet housing right before where the water shoots out from. Could that be it as well, it was running good coming back to my dock, I was about 10 miles out. I just ripped it back full throttle. Didn't hit anything. I was thinking I didn't notice the crack when I bought it and it was running fine with the crack, or maybe the crack just happened and that's the issue.

+1
    You'll find in time that this is the best forum on the net with a wide variety of folks with a good spread on skill sets.

A cracked pump housing could be affecting the water output for the cooling system.

pics are really helpful here

it's easy to suck up some plastic bags or other crap and not even notice. the jet pump is like a giant vacuum cleaner, specially at full throttle

Ok I'll definitely check up in there today after work. Ill also get pics of the crack and the ski all together, thanks guys!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	312179Click image for larger version. 

Views:	78 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	312179Click image for larger version. 

Views:	60 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	312180Click image for larger version. 

Views:	81 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	312181Click image for larger version. 

Views:	77 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	312182

What do you guys think?

I know it doesn't look good but it moves quite well while I had the overheating issue and before I found this crack. Not sure if this would cause the motor to overheat and not let water shoot out the pisser in the water

+1
    I.m sure.....it doesn't take much to impede waterflow. The water outlet for the pump is on the top. Likely compromised.

951 engines=too expensive to be guessing. A total pump fail can sink the ski pretty quick

My question is, where is the water inlet while in the water? I see the spot for the hose, one below it, one on the other side of the impeller housing and then one above the exhaust? What is each opening for?

+1
    The pump is unserviceable ,so much so the cooling gallery inside the pump doesn't line up with the pump shoe so very little water is actually getting past the shoe to the engine.
    You need a new pump. Get a good plastic pump they are more efficient and lighter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information