Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What's the REAL deal with ECUs?

I'm reading and trying to inform myself about ECUs/tunes, and it seems there are a handful of suppliers:

Riva, Vtech, SeaDoo Centre/LesCooke, Rotax, and Torx were the main ones I found. I've read about the issues with Torx's owner, so that already gives me a bad vibe about his products. But when comparing the actual tunes themselves, are there really major differences between the mappings, or is everyone flashing the same software (maybe even from the original source)?

Fuel ratios, ignition timing, and the like aren't (or shouldn't be) guesswork. Are all these providers really testing and tuning independently? I have my doubts, but am curious as to what anyone else knows.

+1
    There isn't one source for a map. Everyone has there own way of doing things. Really it depends what your goals are before you will know what ecu is right for you.

Well, I didn't mean to imply that I thought ALL ECU tunes copied from the same source... I'm just wondering mostly about Riva (which is known to re-brand others' stuff -- with their permission) vs. Torx (rumored to copy others' stuff without permission) vs any other type where u send the ECU and they flash it.

+1
    If your going fairly mild go with vtech that way you will have the tuner and you can go back to stock or change the tune if needed. If your going big go with motec.

+1
    most re-flashed ecu's don't tell much about their flash, like timing changes if any and usually tie the fueling to another product they sell ie: x injectors
    the v-tech system is not perfect but does offer the best in the re-flash ie: you can fix a tune to fit your needs or change to a different one and no other re-flash is even comes close

Banned User
    +1
    You forgot R&D......just saying. Look at all alternatives for your set-up, then ask Members on here what they are using(or do a search), to determine your course of action. Also, the amount of money you have to spend, comes into play.....
    Me? I'm going with R&D on my 2013 GTX Limited iS.....when I get a "round too it"

Banned User
    +1
    get a riva racing ecu i wouldnt even think about going the v tech route again but thats my opinion. the afrs were whack a doo and trying to get any support from them was like calling the tooth fairy. The only time v tech came through is when jerry got into their asses. Use the search button and you will see numerous people that has nothing good to say about them. I havent seen anyone complain riva ecu's

+1
    What ever you go with find a few people that have run them and see what they think.

Torx is Jerrys and this sites competition so keep that in mind also.

9. +1 by:

+1
    I've had 2 reflashes by R&D ,one for the GPR one for the Ultra 300...both gave much improved acceleration and throttle response thru the whole fuel curve like advertised but did not see any improved top speed until a change in the prop pitch in which you need to experiment with depending on your RPMs..

+1
    Dont go with Torx..

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information