Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

stx12f whining noise

Hey guys,
    Ski developed a whining noise today. Its really loud around 4k rpms. Sounds like it could be the pump bearing but I found a chunk of rubber loose in the hull so don't know if that has anything to do with it. Hoping someone ca mm tell me what this is. Looks like it could be for isolating vibration.
    http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/...901_130031.jpg

+1
    Looks like one of the pads for the waterbox on the right side. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...NGS/parts.html
    Best check your pump out to see if it is a pump bearing, or possibly pump bearing out and letting the impeller scape on the side of the housing.
    Either way let us know what ya find.

Thanks, that does look like the part. Ill be taking the ski out of the water today to check the pump. I'll let u know.

Got the ski out of the water. Impeller is rubbing the housing. I did the bearing and new impeller 2 winters ago(about 40 hours). How long do the bearings normally last? Just don't know if this is something I should plan on doing every spring.
    Thanks for the help

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Odds are its not the bearings, do you run in salt water?

Sean

Fresh water only. I shined a light in the pump and the impeller isn't touching but I could see where marks on the housing. I leave it in the water all summer so dont know if that would lower the life expectancy of the pump. I dont think the housing has swelled.

+1
    Your seals may have failed and let water in causing the premature bearing failure. I don't remember the pump housing having a separate liner. It's not unusual to see some slight marks, 'not gouges', on the housing, a lot of the impellers have a 'slight rub' until broken in. If needed the marks can usually be sanded out with 240 wet sandpaper, then 400, then 600.

Do you still hear the whining when running on the hose out of the water? If you're hearing a high pitched whine and it turns out 'not' to be the jet pump, then take a look at these 3 spacers where the intake grate fits into the pump shoe to see if they have spread apart from the grate and are now acting as a reed and whistling/whining when going through the water. #92026 on this diagram http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...%29/parts.html
    Last edited by TexasZ; 09-02-2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added link

+1
    My 12F had the whining noise and sorta ignored it for a while, then boom the pump bearings let loose. Kinda turned it into a stew inside the pump..lol. I too had replaced the bearings 2 years before that just because I noticed water in there and figured since I had it apart I would do the quick work, especially if you throw the pump in the oven. The bearings literally fall into place..

Anyway, I replaced them with the SBT set the first time because it's a good price, but I think the Kawasaki bearings, although more expensive are way more robust than the Chinese SBT stuff. Also, I replaced the bearings this last time and that whine is gone. Lesson learned though with the new 300x as I am gonna be taking the pump apart often for inspection..

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Yes they have an aluminum housing and stainless liner.

It sounds like it has swelled. Leaving the ski in the water could speed it up.

Sean

Cant check today thunderstorms all day. If it is the liner is it replaceable or do I need a new housing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information