Looking at buying a 99 Polaris Genesis need advice

I went and looked at a 99 Genesis, it has 1200 hrs on it. Never in salt water, no rust, hall and body in good shape. Impeller looks good. Always stored indoors. My question is at 1200 hours what can I expect for wear and tear items. Motor always ran Amsoil. It is on second owner he has had it two years and has had no problems with it. I am going tomorrow for a test ride, he claims it will go 70 mph. Other then the hours of use it looks well taken care of, should I be concerned with the hours or can I expect many more hours of trouble free riding?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

If this is a stock 1999 Genesis, it will not run anywhere near 70mph. Top speed will be around 55mph, give or take. The digital dash speedometer is reasonable, but not highly accurate.

Where does the 1200 hours number come from? Sometimes the hours counter in the MFI digital display can reset it self to zero. Perhaps surprisingly, it can suddenly advance to 533 hours, then continue counting from there. These disruptions often seem to occur during battery installation or due to battery discharge.

This machine is now 14 years old. Mechanical inspection is the primary determinant of actual current condition, not engine hour count.

I can tell you that 1200 hours is a very high number for these engines, unless it has been rebuilt. Typically these engines might run just a few hundred hours or so between rebuilds. 200 hours is not an uncommon interval for rebuilds.

To determine whether the engine is producing the expected power, maximum sustained RPM while running on the water at full throttle is the key indicator. Around 6700RPM would be typical in modest air temperature, somewhat less in very hot weather.

Is this engine fuel injected or carburetor?

See my signature links for more info on inspecting a used watercraft. Also lots of info on common maintenance items.
    Last edited by K447; 09-02-2013 at 12:06 AM.

It is a carburetor, I know it has a new battery in it so I bet the hour indication is wrong as you suggested. How much for engine rebuild? I will be doing a full throttle run tomorrow so I will watch rpm.

Thx for your reply

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroMan View Post
    It is a carburetor, I know it has a new battery in it so I bet the hour indication is wrong as you suggested. How much for engine rebuild? I will be doing a full throttle run tomorrow so I will watch rpm.

Thx for your reply
    The engine is not the only important mechanical component, just the most obvious

See this link for some useful pre-purchase information.

How much an engine rebuild costs depends on who is doing the work. If you are mechanically comfortable working in this sort of machine, then the engine itself might cost $1500 to $2500, completely rebuilt by a company, ready to install. Total cost can be somewhat less if you do the assembly work yourself, but the crank shaft must still be sent to a professional shop for rebuild.

Engine removal, reinstallation, adjustment, carburetor rebuilding, etc will take a bunch of hours but is generally straightforward to do.

Thx again if it runs good tomorrow I think I will pull the trigger on this one.

+1
    its roughly $100 per cylinder for parts only new- to rebuild motor !

Thread Information