Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Do not trust your go pro mount

So I wanted to go out and video with my go pro but I was worried about loosing it in the water so I mounted it o my bike helmet so if anything happened it would float. After about 40 minutes of filming I see it come off my head and plop! right into the channel! I was sooo pissed to find the buckle came undone! As near as I can figure it just broke. I cant tell you how many times I struggled to get that thing off of that buckle and here it just un-clipped. I did not attach a life jacket to the thing cause it was hooked to the helmet which is all foam. I figured if it came off the foam in the helmet would float it. Never thought that the buckle would fail.

After talking to go pro they said that the vibration can detach the buckle.

"Based on what you've shown us, most likely the mount was not securely in place and an anti vibration plug should have been used when you mounted the camera. "

Can you believe this?! I have seen this thing mounted to all kinds of crap, formula one racing cars, offshore boats, snowboarders, mountain bikers, etc and never have I ever seen a video where the buckle fails. Especially after 40 min of video taping. Do you think I have a point here or am I being unrealistic. I also questioned the anti vibration plug. What the hell is that? You would think if they know that the clip can vibrate and come off that they would include it with the camera. Its like a $.05 piece of plastic.

Banned User
    +1
    Its a little piece that clips in the mount so it can't be released. I use it all the time. Its a small U shaped white rubber piece. I beat the hell out of mine on the ski. No problems.

youve seen it mounted to these different things, but have you ever looked at the type of mounting systems they are using ? i highly doubt they are using the flimsy stock mounts either. If they are they use other methods of attachment. My fried that films a fishing show has go pros mounted on their boat and they are screwed to the deck, using the plugs and also zip tied with three AC ducting straps. And they still get lost or broken. I have lost 3 go pros over the years, the first two were completely modified and had all the goodies, now i use these with EVERYTHING i do . I made a DIY on another forum and since i use it on my ski it should be posted here as well. Its a very cheap and easy lanyard that you can make that is not only awesome, but can be made in a gazillion different colors. And best of all, most people already have what they need or can get it for very cheap and make 15 or 20 of them to use for other things like neednose pliers for fishing, knives, flashlights, go pros, ect...Sorry about your loss of camera

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...ht=diy+lanyard

+1
    Do you have any pics on how you mounted them? I sure wish I would have known before I went out!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondwatercraft View Post
    So I wanted to go out and video with my go pro but I was worried about loosing it in the water so I mounted it o my bike helmet so if anything happened it would float. After about 40 minutes of filming I see it come off my head and plop! right into the channel! I was sooo pissed to find the buckle came undone! As near as I can figure it just broke. I cant tell you how many times I struggled to get that thing off of that buckle and here it just un-clipped. I did not attach a life jacket to the thing cause it was hooked to the helmet which is all foam. I figured if it came off the foam in the helmet would float it. Never thought that the buckle would fail.

After talking to go pro they said that the vibration can detach the buckle.

"Based on what you've shown us, most likely the mount was not securely in place and an anti vibration plug should have been used when you mounted the camera. "

Can you believe this?! I have seen this thing mounted to all kinds of crap, formula one racing cars, offshore boats, snowboarders, mountain bikers, etc and never have I ever seen a video where the buckle fails. Especially after 40 min of video taping. Do you think I have a point here or am I being unrealistic. I also questioned the anti vibration plug. What the hell is that? You would think if they know that the clip can vibrate and come off that they would include it with the camera. Its like a $.05 piece of plastic.

The cameras come with the anti vibration plug when they are new. Or at least mine did.

6. +1 by:

+1
    They all come with the white plug. That's how GP mounts it to the box.
    No matter how you mount it, it still should have a leash for safety or piece of mind.
    Some stainless steel leader works great, even dental floss can be used.
    Here's a great forum for all things GP: http://goprouser.freeforums.org/

8. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    I always use 2 forms of "recovery". 1, is that I have two key chain floaties attached to the camera itself with key chains, then duct taped to the back-that will float the suction cup mount, which is the heaviest. The 2nd method I use on top of that, is an old boot lace, tied to any convenient place on the boat. I'm always thinking-"what if I yard sale"?? And, I'm talking about me flying off the boat, and the boat going turtle. You have to make sure everything that doesn't easily float, is attached to either you, and/or the boat.
    I've used Go Pro's, and before that, other POV camera's, and knock on wood, never lost one. Had one mounted to a stand-up jet ski, and the camera hit a buoy, and was torn off....luckily the rider saw it happen, kept his eyes on the spot, and saw my 2 white, West Marine floaties, and picked up the camera.

Even my GPS, in it's nice firm mounted RAM mount, has a shoe lace on it, attaching it to the boat-just in case.

+1
    i run a chesty mount no problems....beat the piss out of my ski and am known to fly off at high speeds carving to hard or trying to beast it through some chop. Ive hit the water HARD many times no problem at all. check the video on my signature for my RXP. Im the yellow ski and the angle isnt so bad if you ask me i just push the chesty mount as far up on my chest as it will go.

+1
    I did not get a white plug with mine. Wait, let me take that back, I might have but thought it was packaging. I dont remember.
    If you could of seen what I was doing when it fell off, or broke off, or came off you would understand why I am so pissed about it. I was just riding at about 15 mph coming off of a plane. Toatally lame!

+1
    did they offer you anything? like a big discount on a replacement? or anything at all?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information