+1

Nearly Sank My Rxp - Please Help!!!!!!!!!

First let me start by thanking everybody in advance for reading this long post and for any help you might be able to provide. I was out at the river this past weekend hoping to have a good time with my family and needless to say I didn't. The river was extremely dirty and had a ton of grass floating around. I ended up sucking a large clump up and the ski was revving high but barely moving - I limped back to the dock and revved it several times hoping it would dislodge itself but it didnt so I placed it on the trailer and crawled underneath to check the intake grate but didnt really find much. I then checked the jet pump and really didnt find anything major there either. I revved it a couple more times on the trailer and at first it was popping and sounded kinda funny but it spit out a clump of grass and seemed to be better so I backed it back into the river and ran it on the trailer and again it sounded good and was acting normal. I decided to take it for a quick test drive and for the first minute or two it was fine and then it cut off - I turned around and looked at the back of the ski and it was completely underwater. I jumped off and pushed it back to shore and with the help of some friendly people managed to save it from completely sinking. At this point I had more than a third of the hull filled with water.

When I got home I removed the supercharger inlet tube and water came rushing out - I was horrified. I began ripping everything apart. The supercharger, intake manifold, throttle body, spark plugs, etc... all had water in them and all came out and thoroughly cleaned. I turned over the motor and all the water blew out of the pistons. I put wd-40 everywhere to prevent rust from setting in.

The good news is the motor still turns over and all the electronics still work. My question is what could cause the hull to flood so quickly????? I checked the exhaust hoses and all are tight, I checked the drain plugs and they were in tight, my suspicion is the carbon seal failed because I did find the little "C" shaped clip sitting in the bottom of the hull. I also had a thick black line on the hull by the seal. Do you guys agree and does anybody have a write up on how to replace the carbon seal - I have searched the internet for hours but have come up with nothing to detailed. Could a bad carbon seal flood the hull so quickly?

Same thing happen to me yesturday. I checked my supercharger and now spins freely...thats maybe the reason mine would shut off like you say yours did and water was in mine. Not sure if SC failure would cause water in hull though. Hopefully someone will chime in here

Banned User
    +1
    carbon seal sinks several rxps a year. Yes its your carbon seal imo

a supercharger blowing wouldnt flood your hull

+1
    the first mod anyone should do is install a bilge pump, repeat-first mod is bilge pump, it has saved me numerous times, from exhaust hose failures to bellows,
    the black line is normal for the carbon that slings off the seal,
    read up on past post on changing the carbon seal and c clip, if the drive-shaft has any rust on the groove or worn spot the C-clip will not stay seated,

+1
    if your c clip fell out then your leak was from the carbon seal.
    The clip falls out and then you loose all pressure onto the seal.

And with the clip off its really easy to get the shaft and seal out.

Pull the steering nozzle out. Disconnect opas, steering cable, trim rod, reverse cable then the 4 bolts that go into the pump.

Now pull the 4 bolts or nuts out that hold the pump, then pull the pump.

next because the c clip is out already pull the drive shaft out the rear, watch that you dont pull the bearing out of the rubber boot on the engine where the shaft goes into the engine.

The hat will fall off when you remove the shaft.

now loosen up the clamp on the carbon seal to hull and pull it off.

Inspect everything for wear. Your drive shaft might be wore out where the c clip snaps in and that would be why it fell out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JQuattro View Post
    First let me start by thanking everybody in advance for reading this long post and for any help you might be able to provide. I was out at the river this past weekend hoping to have a good time with my family and needless to say I didn't. The river was extremely dirty and had a ton of grass floating around. I ended up sucking a large clump up and the ski was revving high but barely moving - I limped back to the dock and revved it several times hoping it would dislodge itself but it didnt so I placed it on the trailer and crawled underneath to check the intake grate but didnt really find much. I then checked the jet pump and really didnt find anything major there either. I revved it a couple more times on the trailer and at first it was popping and sounded kinda funny but it spit out a clump of grass and seemed to be better so I backed it back into the river and ran it on the trailer and again it sounded good and was acting normal. I decided to take it for a quick test drive and for the first minute or two it was fine and then it cut off - I turned around and looked at the back of the ski and it was completely underwater. I jumped off and pushed it back to shore and with the help of some friendly people managed to save it from completely sinking. At this point I had more than a third of the hull filled with water.

When I got home I removed the supercharger inlet tube and water came rushing out - I was horrified. I began ripping everything apart. The supercharger, intake manifold, throttle body, spark plugs, etc... all had water in them and all came out and thoroughly cleaned. I turned over the motor and all the water blew out of the pistons. I put wd-40 everywhere to prevent rust from setting in.

The good news is the motor still turns over and all the electronics still work. My question is what could cause the hull to flood so quickly????? I checked the exhaust hoses and all are tight, I checked the drain plugs and they were in tight, my suspicion is the carbon seal failed because I did find the little "C" shaped clip sitting in the bottom of the hull. I also had a thick black line on the hull by the seal. Do you guys agree and does anybody have a write up on how to replace the carbon seal - I have searched the internet for hours but have come up with nothing to detailed. Could a bad carbon seal flood the hull so quickly?
    Just wanted to add I have an upgraded x charger with supporting mods so its not supercharger failure

+1
    Thank you hotbird - I will try and attempt to remove it following your directions today.

+1
    Snakesvt04, thatdude596, skigulfnut - appreciate your input

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    My personal TIP on the debris removal as it has worked for me with anything with a reverse bucket.
    Ready?? Ok without over revving the motor and NOT burning up the wear ring,.. get a little headway speed (3 or 4 mph) shut it OFF and FULL reverse and coast it. it 8 out of 10 it works unless its rocks or rope OR anything in the prop

jus my .02

+1
    Ill give it a shot sea-one if my baby isnt damaged too badly (motor wise)

Thread Information