Need Advice - Considering purchasing GTR 215

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and completely new to boating/pwcs. I've been doing some due diligence and research, and I'm pretty sure what I want to buy is a new GTR 215 based on looks/speed/value. I originally wanted to buy a speedster 150, but my wife informed me my 4 month old daughter wouldnt be old enough for a while to go boat riding. So I need something I can put in and out the water with 1 person. It looks like the GTR 215 is the best value for what I need and the Icatch trailer will allow me to put it in an out the water by myself.

My only heart burn is I live in Destin, Florida and I talked to a lot of the jet ski rentals and EVERYONE uses Yamaha. I try to tell them I want to rent a Sea Doo, and none of them have it and they make sure to tell me not to buy a Sea Doo. Only one was specifically able to articulate why, and he mentioned the exhaust coupler melting when you get seaweed in the engine, and then water gets in the boat and starts to sink. It seems like that could be mitigated by following the procedures in the manual.

Anyway, just looking for some advice. Would this pwc and trailer work well for one person that is trailering the pwc? What else would I need to buy? It looks like speed ties, cover, sandbag anchor, and life vests are pretty helpful. It looks like the ceramic washers are no longer an issue with the supercharger, anything else I need to be worried about mechanically?

I'll be mostly using the pwc in the bay where I can get flatter water closer to the shore and then going to the sand bar to anchor down in waste deep water. Will the sand bag anchor be good enough or will I need to purchase a metal anchor? This PWC would be exposed to salt water 100% of the time and sea weed will sometimes be an issue out there. I would occassionally be going into the Gulf of Mexico but the waves can get kind of big there.

I have 0 boating experience and am new to the world of PWCs so I appreciate any advice. My only real experience is taking a few rental jet skis for a spin. Thanks for the help all. I really appreciate it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SolMan View Post
    Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and completely new to boating/pwcs. I've been doing some due diligence and research, and I'm pretty sure what I want to buy is a new GTR 215 based on looks/speed/value. I originally wanted to buy a speedster 150, but my wife informed me my 4 month old daughter wouldnt be old enough for a while to go boat riding. So I need something I can put in and out the water with 1 person. It looks like the GTR 215 is the best value for what I need and the Icatch trailer will allow me to put it in an out the water by myself.

My only heart burn is I live in Destin, Florida and I talked to a lot of the jet ski rentals and EVERYONE uses Yamaha. I try to tell them I want to rent a Sea Doo, and none of them have it and they make sure to tell me not to buy a Sea Doo. Only one was specifically able to articulate why, and he mentioned the exhaust coupler melting when you get seaweed in the engine, and then water gets in the boat and starts to sink. It seems like that could be mitigated by following the procedures in the manual.

Anyway, just looking for some advice. Would this pwc and trailer work well for one person that is trailering the pwc? What else would I need to buy? It looks like speed ties, cover, sandbag anchor, and life vests are pretty helpful. It looks like the ceramic washers are no longer an issue with the supercharger, anything else I need to be worried about mechanically?

I'll be mostly using the pwc in the bay where I can get flatter water closer to the shore and then going to the sand bar to anchor down in waste deep water. Will the sand bag anchor be good enough or will I need to purchase a metal anchor? This PWC would be exposed to salt water 100% of the time and sea weed will sometimes be an issue out there. I would occassionally be going into the Gulf of Mexico but the waves can get kind of big there.

I have 0 boating experience and am new to the world of PWCs so I appreciate any advice. My only real experience is taking a few rental jet skis for a spin. Thanks for the help all. I really appreciate it.
    The GTR is a very good "and reliable" all around ski "So are the Yami models". All of these ski's are easily launched by one person with or without an Icatch trailer. I personaly wouldn't use a metal anchor. Speed ties are nice but hardly a must have. Covers are nice if you're keeping it outside. Vests are mandatory. "get some comfy good quality ones"
    The GTR does not have a re-boarding step which can make it hard for some people to re-board the ski.
    The Doo models have iTC and iBR which would be very helpful to a newbie who's not used to docking.

Go see the models you're considering in person, and at least sit on them before deciding which to buy. The various models feel quite different.
    The VXS / VXR models may also work nicely for you. "no frills, but great performance for the money"

+1
    Welcome to Greenhulk.

+1
    The GTR is an excellent ski as is the VXR/S. Since you'll be in saltwater most of the time, you'll have to be a bit more "anal" about flushing post ride. Do some research about products like saltaway ect. The supercharger will require a bit more maint., but not much. The GTR will give you the possibility to modify later if you choose. Other than that, see you on Crab Island !!!
    Last edited by The Rooster; 09-02-2013 at 01:30 PM.

+1
    Gtr is a near bullet proof machine.
    It's all in how you maintain a ski.

The I catch trailers are nice but any single trailer is also going to be easy to launch with.

I catch takes some getting use to and some people have had issues with them.
    Get a triton trailer and you will be very pleased.

Just my 2 cents..

+1
    I picked up a gtr in early Aug with a single karavan trailer. Its a very comfortable ride, and overall performance is great. I just pasted the 10hr break in timeframe, so haven't really let loose too much, but the speed and handling are superb. Never feel like I'm going to get bucked off and stability getting on even with someone already on is no worry.

I picked up a cover just for when she sits outside to keep sap or other crap from getting on it. Have read not to drive with the cover on due to rubbing against the body. Haven't had any issues with bugs or anything else getting on her trailering without the cover. Also got the freeewave vests which are neoprene and comfy. I've used the sand bag anchor which has held her in place with 1ft waves and relatively windy conditions. However it has been a bit of a pain trying to fill the bag and keep the ski from running into our dock, so I also picked up a corkscrew style anchor for quicker anchoring by myself.

Definitely use a ratchet style tie down for the trailer. Seadoo has a nice one for $20. Only real issue I've has is bathing suits bleeding color into the white vinyl on the seat. Will want to make sure your suit has been washed before so is less likely to bleed color. I ride 100% fresh water so I generally just start it at the launch after riding and berp the throttle a few times and shut her down right away.

Have gotten many complements on her already, oh, and the break and reverse is real handy when coming back into the launch or anywhere you don't want to be continually moving.

Deff happy with her so far

+1
    In salt water closed loop cooling is a +

Banned User
    +1
    If you are going in salt water get the Triton Elite. All aluminum and stainless hardware. Hose it down when you get home and you will be good.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Since you'll be riding primarily in the bay the GTR will be fine.
    Hell, I've not had real problems in 2' seas. You're not gonna be doing 60, havin a great time in them(2'), but it'll do it. You just gotta watch your timing, ride between the swells when you're out in them.

Make sure you flush after each ride.
    Keep a good coat of wax on her.
    Seal/protect your seat/dont use bleach to clean it.
    A cover is a good idea.
    Use ethanol-free fuel, stabilize if you're not going to ride in the 'winter'.
    (no such thing man, just get a wetsuit and all is good)

A 'groco' strainer http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1430 will put your mind at ease as far as the exhaust coupling melting, and/or your intercooler(I/C) from becoming blocked/plugged. Clean this after each ride, as well.

The addition of the 'rear boarding step' is a must (should be standard equipment on skis, IMO). It makes getting back on sooo much easier. There will be times where it will be NECESSARY for you to use it - I know there have been times that i have 'gotten off' on my ski and would NOT have been able to get back on w/o it.

...aside from that; its a great ski - I L-O-V-E mine. Ridden it on the west coast, the east coast, and places in between. It is a great all-around ski. The components are proven and reliable; with a lil TLC it'll last you for 100's of hours of fun, trouble-free, riding.

Read yoYamas post at the top of this on "How to avoid damage to your new ski"; its really helpful.

Welcome to the HULK...
    Last edited by raceneked; 09-03-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Thread Information