Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Possible Drive shaft issue or miss alignment or ?????

2013 GTR 215 (24 hours)

Issue- Noticed two days ago when flushing I heard a bad vibration type sound coming from the ski, at the time I wasn't sure what it could be, I just figured our skis idled rough....Today I took the ski out for a few hours, ran great no issues at all. Went to flush it, and I heard that noise again...So I took a look around and noticed that black boot and hose clamp around the drive shaft directly behind the motor was vibrating really bad...

Video- if you listen close you can hear the vibration...

So we pulled the pump out, and noticed the driveshaft did not look centered at all. Would that cause the issue? Any info is appreciated!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1159-1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	312298
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1160-1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	312299
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Seanh1150; 09-02-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Yikes sounds tricky... Was the drive shaft pretty mobile in there?

+1
    You can't tell anything from that. The shaft will sag one you remove the pump and you don't want to let it sag there for long. You have to use an alignment tool. You can get one at SBT along with shims if needed. It's not a trivial task as you have to take the drive shaft out that requires special tools etc as well as remove allot of stuff to get to said drive shaft to remove it. I will say though if you are performance enthusiast it's worth doing before you start pouring money into mods that will amplify things. From here on out I will be checking my alignment first thing on any new ski I get. Take it to the dealer, something doesn't sound right.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    check for something wrapped on the driveshaft, and yes..to the dealer for a warranty inspection.

+1
    Remember not to flush it for too long. 1-2 min max. That carbon seal is cooking when your not in the water..

Bring it in for warranty.. and I wouldn't tell them you had it apart...

+1
    As stated above, there is always a lot of play/sag with the drive shaft when the pump is off, so you can't really base anything off of those photos. As for taking it to a dealer for warranty...There isn't a single dealership in our area that I would trust with anything related to alignment. Your max RPMs are good, there's no water coming into the hull, and there isn't a speck of carbon dust even after some hardcore race riding. With my P-X being just slightly out of alignment, I was getting water intrusion after just an hour on each new seal, and you've seen the carbon spray for yourself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    As stated above, there is always a lot of play/sag with the drive shaft when the pump is off, so you can't really base anything off of those photos. As for taking it to a dealer for warranty...There isn't a single dealership in our area that I would trust with anything related to alignment. Your max RPMs are good, there's no water coming into the hull, and there isn't a speck of carbon dust even after some hardcore race riding. With my P-X being just slightly out of alignment, I was getting water intrusion after just an hour on each new seal, and you've seen the carbon spray for yourself.
    Whether its drive shaft alignment issue or something else.... whatever it is it isn't right. The hose clamp on the drive shaft boot looks like its going to shake off and the noise coming from that area sounds terrible. I started that ski right next to Erin's GTR with 120hrs on the clock and not a single vibration or abnormal noise.

Also, I disagree on the amount of play in the drive shaft. I have next to zero play on the drive shaft when I take the pump out on my P-X. The amount of play on the drive shaft in Seanh1150's GTR was alot.... it just felt loose with tons of play.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    Check for busted motor mounts.

9. +1 by:

Hey seanh - did you have any issues pulling the pump?
    I have to pull my pump to replace ring and impeller and I've got everything cleared and unbolted except for main nut on top of bearing (under cone boot). What's next? Do I just pull the entire assembly off the shaft? Or do I need to undo that main nut?

Cheers

+1
    Wotxxxsd said it best......How long were you running on the flush hose??? If you do not cool the carbon ring with water while flushing it, it will get hot and start to chatter and vibrate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information