Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cleaning out 1200 case

I have a 1999 genesis 1200 carb. The rear piston had a major failure and basically came apart in cylinder. This is my first major rebuild. My question is and I pretty sure I know what I'm going to have to do but don't want to. I'm afraid there is shrapnel in the case from the piston. Is there any way to flush the case or I'm I going to have to completely pull it apart. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, are you feeling lucky?

Unless you take the bottom off the engine, you just won't know for sure.

Many of us have found bits of metal tucked away in corners and crevices of engines we thought were 'clean' inside.

What's the best way to clean it when it's all pulled apart?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy8 View Post
    What's the best way to clean it when it's all pulled apart?
    Nothing too complicated. Degreaser or carb cleaner should do the job.

Once you have the crank case apart and the crank shaft out, the cases are fairly straightforward to clean.
    Pay attention to the oiling holes in the upper half, they need to be clear of debris. As do all the grooves and crevices, including the drain holes in the bottom.

Banned User
    +1
    I use hot soapy water. Tide works well. Maybe flush out some of the tight spots with some brake cleaner

I put mine up on an engine lift and tilted to the side of the drain plugs, pured approximately 2 qts of transmission fluid through the case. Then plugged it and filled with trans fluid and shook the engine on the stand back and forth then proceeded to flip it over on the stand and let it all drain out the top after turning over the crank a bunch to move everything about. Then I flipped back right side, pulled the plugs out and rinsed clean with about a 1/2 gallon of premix fuel. I am hoping that will be enough to have the girl cleaned right out!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmi291 View Post
    I put mine up on an engine lift and tilted to the side of the drain plugs, pured approximately 2 qts of transmission fluid through the case. Then plugged it and filled with trans fluid and shook the engine on the stand back and forth then proceeded to flip it over on the stand and let it all drain out the top after turning over the crank a bunch to move everything about. Then I flipped back right side, pulled the plugs out and rinsed clean with about a 1/2 gallon of premix fuel. I am hoping that will be enough to have the girl cleaned right out!
    Cleaning out an engine which is still assembled is quite different from cleaning the engine cases of a disassembled engine.

Metal particles and small debris do not dissolve, they just wash around inside. Gravity and crevices conspire to trap small bits. Often when the engine is taken apart there is stuff hiding around the intake reeds, the drain holes, the oil feed holes into the bearings, and the bearings themselves.

You may get lucky, but my approach is that if there is metal debris down in the crankcase the only way to know you really have it cleaned out is to actually take the crankcase apart.
    Last edited by K447; 09-10-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Banned User
    +1
    Not to mention, you could have metal pieces in the crank bearings. That will make your whole motor go boom in short order.

And not to mention it seems these crankshaft end seals seem to blow pretty easy, from what I was reading they should be replaced every 80 hours.

Okay then I guess my question is, do I have to buy the gasket that will go in between the crank case halves or can I reuse the old with a very small amount of black RTV? Also where is the best place to get the 2 crank seals?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information