Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1997 Polaris SL1050 Bilge Pump, and idle problems

Just bought a 1997 Polaris SL1050 last week. Great condition and everything looks clean, took it out to the water and it started up almost immediately. Riding through the no wake zone, the engine died, but started again almost immediately. Tried to go at no wake speed again and it died. Once I was out on the water, got it up to 52 with two riders no problem. Coming back in had the same problem, tried no wake idle speed and the engine dies, give it a little gas and its good again. Then when I run the bilge pump it does not stop running, all night long it continued to run. Drained the battery about a volt, but still not how its supposed to be. Disconnected the battery and it turned off, but when i reconnected it started again. Press the bilge button an the pump changes to a higher pitch, release and it maintains the pitch it had been. Any ideas?

Banned User
    +1
    Bad LR module. My Pro 1200 did the same thing when I bought it. Without a little more info on the idle, its hard to tell what it might be. How does the throttle respond when you take off from idle? Does it spit and sputter, or does it fall flat on its face when you hit the throttle?

When I start it, I have the choke on, applying pressure to the throttle, as long as its getting some throttle it goes fine. Came in from the lake last night in the no wake zone, it will idle for about 30 seconds then die. I can then start it right back up and give it gas, but when I idle again it does the same thing. I tested the bilge pump and it sucks the water out fine, but continues to run even when the ski is turned off. I disconnected the battery to keep it from being drained.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Bad LR module...
    Agreed.

Or the LR module is not properly grounded, I suppose.

Most likely it needs replacing.

Any suggestions as to where to get a new one? Suggestions about the bilge pump? Or does the LR Module problem cover both of those? I had seen a few other posts about rewiring it to fix similar problems like not starting up even after the engine is warm.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltschinger View Post
    Any suggestions as to where to get a new one? Suggestions about the bilge pump? Or does the LR Module problem cover both of those? I had seen a few other posts about rewiring it to fix similar problems like not starting up even after the engine is warm.
    LR module controls accessory power, which is what drives the bilge pump.

It sounds like your LR module has failed and is providing partial voltage to the bilge pump all the time. The Bilge button over rides the LR output and forces full battery voltage to all accessories, including the bilge pump.

+1
    brain fart

what does LR mean ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999-SLTX View Post
    ... what does LR mean ?
    If it is an acronym, I am unaware of the deeper meaning.

Perhaps Minks Engineering named it.

Any suggestions as to where a new LR Module could be purchased? I cant find them on google or ebay.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltschinger View Post
    Any suggestions as to where a new LR Module could be purchased? I cant find them on google or ebay.
    See my signature links for a Parts Sources list.

Also see the info on part numbers for these things. The Polaris Industries parts web site can show you the original part number for your LR module. There may or may not be an updated version, but if you shop new using the original part number, typically it will be cross referenced to the newer updated version, if one exists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information